I have heard that girls are beginning their periods when they are 9 or 10 years old. What can be done to prevent that from happening? Can organic milk and eggs help prevent it? I have an 8 year old daughter and would like to find some ways to prevent this from happening.

QnsNYMom

Asked by QnsNYMom at 1:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Why would you want to prevent something as natural as that. It is part of a process our bodies go through, you don't mess with nature.

Answer by older at 1:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Well if you really wanted to it to not happen at all. Then you should have started when we was younger. It is from all meats(all red meats, chicken, bacon) all that kind of stuff. Yes they are starting earlier. So we as parents have to learn to give the talk earlier then our parents did.
    Anonymous

• I am not sure if that would help now because she has been consuming the hormones all this time. I am not too sure about that theory either tho. My oldest DD is 17 and she started at 12. My 10 year old DD has not started puberty yet so I really don't think hers is coming anytime soon either. But my niece which is the same age as my oldest DD started at 9 but she was a big girl. A child's weight has more to do with the time a child starts her period from what I have read....
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 1:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If you're starting organics at age 8, it won't do a damn thing. If you had started organics from birth, then yes, you could have pushed it back. But it has to do largely with genetics too. If you had your period at 10, your daughter likely will. At this point, nothing to do but sit back and wait for Aunt Flow's first traumatic visit.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 1:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Are you afraid she's going to become pregnant at a young age or that she won't take care well of her monthly time? One of my daughters started right after she turned 11 yo and that was 11 years ago actually.

Practice talking to yourself without anyone around you to be comfortable speaking with dd about sex and what it's all about too - babies and good and bad touch.

I told my daughters that if a touch from a stranger or a relative made their arm hair or head hair stand up then it was a bad touch and to tell a trustworthy grownup they know.

Try talking to your dd's doctor about your concerns- I reminded my kids very often of personal safety plus responsibility of chosen sexual activity plus forced sexual activity. Ask for a consultation with your dd doctor - that way the doctor will know you have concerns to address in a talk not necessarily a physical exam.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Getting earlier periods means higher breast cancer risk for girls. Some girls in their 20s are now getting breast cancer. This is why I would like to help prevent my daughter from getting her period so early.
    QnsNYMom

Answer by QnsNYMom at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP, I have this same fear!!! I've been serving up organic whenever I can since DD began drinking milk and eating solids so that she will develop more naturally. I'm terrified that the hormones in milk and meat these days will cause my DD to develop prematurely or to over develop. Maybe I'm just paranoid, but its always in the back of my mind :-)
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yes, I have always given her organic milk and eggs and she is mostly vegetarian. But I'm wondering if there is anything else I can do.
    QnsNYMom

Answer by QnsNYMom at 1:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• oh op, the first visit of a period or periods for a bit after the first one ---- monthly periods starting the first time or soon afterwards are absolutely not always traumatic!!!!

I didn't get any advance talk from my mother figure, I did get compassion from a friend I was with when I started at 13. Not being prepared scared me badly I truly thought I was bleeding to death on the spot!!!!! I screamed and yelled in complete fear with nausea too worrying that I was dying then!!!!

I knew after that if I was blessed to have a daughter that she would not be afraid to get her period - and two of my three kids are girls. My youngest is 17 yo she's in hs. She also got her period before 12yo. Speaking to them often ahead of time that they would not be dying and to tell me call me even from school kept them calm and knowledgeable.

If you grew up fearful of anything - how do you wish you were instead brought up? Think that.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 1:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP, I think you can just keep doing what you're doing and pat yourself on the back for being a concerned momma! Sounds like you've done everything you can to provide a natural diet, so whatever happens now is out of your hands.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 1:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010