What are some good remedies for mouth soreness from braces, besides tylenol or ibuprofen?

My son just got braces yesterday and he is still having some soreness from that.

kybluekids714

Asked by kybluekids714 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Frozen bananas are AWESOME.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 1:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My sons orthodontist told our son to take Aleve.. It works great and lasts longer than tylenol..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 1:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Does he have wax to put on the spots that are rubbing his gums? That helped me. He'll get used to it quickly. My son was only in pain for a day or 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My son's doctor gave him wax to rub on the braces; so there wasn't the friction on the inside of his mouth. This was about 13 years ago.
    momof2jmms

Answer by momof2jmms at 1:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Orajel. I am serious. It works wonders. I had braces for 3 years and that is what I did.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Hyland's teething tabs! Really!!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I'm going to second the Orajel. the wax only helped me a little bit, and it looked gross, like I had something stuck in them.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 2:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Chewing on something. When I got mine they gave me a plastic thing to bite on for a couple of days. Alternate hot and cold. Drink/Eat some hot soup then drink or eat something cold.
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 2:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Poor kid. When I got mine, my mom would always take me out for a good meal immidiately following a "tightening" because by that evening and for the next few days it would be uncomfortable enough I wouldn't want to eat. :P
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 3:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Oragel. Instant relief right where you need it until the Tylenol, etc. kicks in.
    Anonymous