How to deal with phobias

I have an awful phobia of vomiting. I scream, cry and plug my ears when my kids are sick. My husband has to take care of them. I don't eat or drink hardly at all when they are sick. I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions. Please help. I want to be there for them and I just can't.

jennifer091099

Asked by jennifer091099 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Health

• therapy
    or
    just deal with it, you are their mother. You need to suck it up and take care of them.
    Anonymous

• I was like that when they were younger. I worked hard to keep them healthy! Is your phobia the vomiting itself or the smell or the fear you may do it yourself?

Answer by admckenzie at 2:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If sucking it up and dealing with it was that easy than I wouldn't be reaching out for help. My fear is of just the vomiting itself. Not that I have a week stomach or anything. I can't eat, sleep, or drink when I know my kids are throwing up or complain that their tummies hurt. It is something that I have had ever since I can remember. Baby spit up doesn't bother me, it's now that they are a little older.
    jennifer091099

Answer by jennifer091099 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Counseling may help. Other than that I have no ideas for you.

Good luck overcoming it.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 2:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The way to overcome phobias is to confront them. Special counceling can help with that. Good luck.
    Amberoz

Answer by Amberoz at 2:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010