checking homework

Do you expect you 8,9, 10 year old to bring you school papers or notes/homework to check over and look at or is your thinking " they are old enough to know what's important and know to bring it to me"
Also, Do you ask your children at this age How their day was or expect them to just tell you about their day if they want to?
I am wondering because I have a sister and her parenting and mine are VERY different and I just want to know what other mom's out there do with kids this age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Everyday that my son starts to head out the door for the school bus, I remind him to have a wonderful day, to behave, and to make good choices....EVERYDAY!!! Followed up with a hug & kiss and an "I love you!!" NOW, having said that, when he arrives home it is typically a "Hello there kid, happy to have you home! How was your day? What did you do today in class? Did you have fun, anything exciting happen?" this is pretty normal in our house. And because of it, he often asks me how my day was. He then asks his Dad when he gets home from work "Hi Dad, how was your day? What did you work on today?" In my opinion it is dialog, and perfectly normal.
    SJCaple

Answer by SJCaple at 11:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Mine is 13...I still ask how his day was and ask if he has any papers I need to look at. I still have to go through his binder sometimes though. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My son is 13 and I still check his backpack, folder, homework and I ask how his day was. Why would you stop at a certain age? Kids, most kids, like to talk about their day. Children of all ages need structure and to know that there are consequences for not doing their homework, etc. Also, how else are you going to find out about what is going on in their lives or what is going on at school if you don't ask?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I look over my 13 and 7 year olds homework and make sure they give me paper`s and such from school. I make sure to stay in tune with what they are learning in school . I always ask how their day was.
    cookiepops80

Answer by cookiepops80 at 2:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My kids had a folder with two pockets One one side pocket was the "to be reviewed/signed and homework to be completed. The other side was for the teacher to check and for turning in completed homework. That systems worked great. I just wish my older kids would use that folder. It is so much easier to keep track of everything.

Now being in high school,they have folder or binder for every class. It is a PAIN in the ass. I wish teacher were more understanding. It is bad enough for the kids carrying so many books and binders in their back packs.
    Anonymous

• I would insist on going through my child's homework. They do not understand deadlines like adults do. It is not solely the teacher's job to turn my child into a good student, it's mine. Kids don't naturally want to share their days because school is "THEIR" private space, and that's fine. I don't need details, but I do appreciate a general overview.
    Anonymous

• We started phasing this out in fifth grade...

Answer by rkoloms at 2:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I expect my 8 and 9 year old to bring it to me. They both have a calendar this year that the parents have to initial every night which is a little bit of a pain, but it definitely keeps me informed as to what homework they have and should be getting done. I don't stand over them while they do their homework, but I'm around if they need help and I check it when they are done.

Answer by missanc at 2:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I always ask my boys how their day was when they get in the car after school and they always volunteer more info than I ever need about the goings on of it. Which is great. With my oldest, I make sure he gets his work done, but I dont check it over and scrutinize it, as it's his responsibility to make sure its right. With my youngest, the 2nd grade teachers like the parents to be involved in the homework process, so they want you look over their work, make sure they did it and as best they could, then initial it at the top. This helps the kids learn to do their best work the first time around(cause they know mom or dad will be looking at it) and parents have to be involved in their kids education this way which is a huge plus.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would expect to ask an 8, 9 and 10 year old how their days and look over their homework every night.
    My 8 year old doesn't attend traditional school so that isn't an issue in our house.
    Anonymous