do u use baby sign langauge?

when did u start?do u like the method? are u still using it? and how r ur children now?

mommy16love

Asked by mommy16love at 2:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DS is 4 now, but we used it, started teaching it about 4-5 mos and it was wonderful
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We use sign language with my 14 month old. I started when he was around 8 months old and it makes it much easier because he can sign words he doesn't yet say. Because he is starting to talk, I always make sure to repeat the word for him after he makes a sign so he will associate the two together. My oldest is 12 and has autism, so I found out about sign language when he was in preschool and his teacher used it because so many of the children were nonverbal. I used it with my 8 and 9 year olds as well and they're fine - they didn't remember many of the signs when I first started with their brother because it had been so long. We use around 25 signs, just for common things (milk, eat, play, ball, car, bath, please and thank you, etc).

Answer by missanc at 2:13 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I used it with the kids in my daycare class. You can start from birth, although they won't start until a little while later. It is an awesome way to communicate with a child that can't yet. Also helps with reading later on. Because they are used to associating a hand sign with a spoken word. Like associating written words with spoken words.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have tried it with my son, 20 m/o. He isnt much of a talker, so I figured sign language might help him communicate with me better. When his cup is empty and he wants more, he usually just throws the cup at me, puts it in my hand or drags me to the kitchen. I've been teaching him the sign for "more" then repeat the word "more" every time he does this. It can get him a bit frustrated and impatient, but the few times he mimics, I praise him and get him more. He is starting to put 2 and 2 together.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• my son was taught a couple signs when he went to goddard school. it delayed his speech ... he didnt learn those words for the longest time and would sign them (they were eat and more) i dont like it ... unless the kid has some physical imparement... why not just teach them words?? it is fun. but i do think it delays them aquiring skills that would allow them to interact and talk with everyone.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I did this with my dd. Started when she was 6 months old or so. We loved it!!! It made her be able to communicate so she was less frustrated. By the time she was a yr old she would speak some but use the signs alot. They dont have to do the signs right, just as long as you understand them. My dd used to use the more sign alot from a very young age and she used to pat the top of her head if she wanted to watch Barney.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• ^Not true. You also say the word and encourage that as well. It does not delay them. Unless, you are doing it all wrong.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I started with dd around 6 mos... she LOVED it! by 13 mos she was signing me all her needs. She didn't start saying words until 19 mos but the first words she said were ones she signed daily! She still signs at 2 now (not as often) and we're still working with them! Also, when we added new signs after she started talking, she would learn the sign first and then pronounce it right after. I think it is FANTASTIC! I encouraged her to talk and sign but she didn't want to talk all the time and it got her basic needs across. Def a thing to encourage!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My son was taught signing because of a speech delay. The frustration he had not being able to communicate his needs, and then be able to sign milk, more, eat ect. It made a world of difference. Signing opens up whole new worlds between parent and child and when they start to talk they drop the signing. I would definately encourage you to sign as a fun thing. If someone is on here because they don't think their child is talking like they should google early intervention and the name of your state EX: early intervention texas. A list of resources will come up, oftentimes coming to your home or child's daycare with the help and permission of the daycare to teach speech, and give methods to encourage speech. Nominal sliding scale fee, or free. They do an evaluation first. If child is eligible, and stays in program til 3 yrs old, they can go to regular school at 3 if you want them to. The school then provides therapy for free!
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 3:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My children made their own signs for "eat" and "milk" at around 8 months. (they were strangely similar to the "real" signs) I never used these signs with them, but I would respond to them.

It has been my experience with MANY children, that when they are communicating with their parents in sign language, and the parents are signing back, they often have speech delays, so we won't be using formal baby sign language unless it become necessary due to a disability.

twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 3:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010