intimate after a month of having a baby?

Is it safe to have sex after a month of just having a baby? I do not mean on getting pregnant... i know that risk but the healing part? When did you if you don't mind answering? I can wait til my full 6 weeks... but I was just curious if it everything has healed. It seems like it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• if you feel up to it and fine then most likely it would be ok. but i always waited until my 6 wk postpartum visit just in case. i didnt want to risk infection or prolonged healing.
    Anonymous

• After my second baby, my midwife said "if you feel so inclined" make sure you use some lubricant and take it slow, listening to body cues about when to stop (and using protection if I didn't want another right away). I had a normal, unmedicated and uncomplicated vaginal birth, so she saw no reason to put a strict timeframe of when it was ok, but ask your dr or midwife about your personal case and see what they say.
    Anonymous

• Have you had your follow up appt with your doctor yet? Even though you 'feel' like everything is healed up down there you still might want to play it safe. But if the sexual need is there just try to take it easy, cuz remember your body just went through quite an ordeal so if you must play, play easy go gentle!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 2:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i had to wait the 6 weeks because of all the stitches i had. but i think if your not sure just ask your doc if you feel up to it. i didnt want him anywhere near me hahahah i was still in to much pain
    ashtynsmom730

Answer by ashtynsmom730 at 2:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We had sex 7 or 8 days after my emergency C. I was also done bleeding by that time and it didn't hurt. We are sex at least once a day kind of people....
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• None of my providers told me I had to wait 6 weeks. They all said it was fine as long as the bleeding had stopped for at least 24 hours. I didn't always feel up to it quite that soon, but you can try it that soon if you are so inclined. Use a condom and plenty of lube, and take it slow. If it still hurts, stop and give it a few more days before trying again. Keep up your kegels.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If you feel fine, go for it.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 3:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I always waited, I just didn't want to risk infection etc. I agree, even if you feel fine, that my not mean you are ready. I think it is up to the woman, but I personally waited. I was also just not really into sex for awhile after giving birth. Took me some time to go from mommy mode back to wifey mode.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 7:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010