Caught a little parrot in our garden.

Hi!

Today we rescued a little parrot from the cold. At least I think it's a parrot. It's green with a red/ orange head. Aprox. 17cm long (6 inches?) It was snowing and the little fellow wasn't much into moving and flying away, really easy to catch. So I figured he'd freeze to death if we don't get him inside.
He can stay with a neighbour, who had birds aswell, for a while. -I made flyers and hung them up in the petshop nearby and around the neighbourhood.
ANYWAY ... if nobody comes and picks him up, what do they eat? What size needs the cage to be? How much does the are cost?

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pets

• Aw poor little guy. I'd take him to a vet and get him checked out, you can get good advice there. It was nice of you to take care of him.

Answer by Bmat at 8:54 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I would take a picture of him and take it with you to the pet store so that they can point you in the right direction
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• it sounds like a kind of parrot.... it's hard to find a vet that does birds, but i would do that bc he might be sick from being in the cold. you could get him some millet spray for a treat and he should eat pelletted food like kaytee exact rainbow for small parrots and also offer him fresh fruits and veggies. if it's the parrot i'm thinking of it's like a $300+ bird, so try to find the owner and if you don't lucky you
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Well they need to have fruits and nuts in a daily diet, u should look for that specific bird type on the internet and see its needs. For their cage if u clip their wings and give them a perch they dont need too much space they mostly just sit there, eat, sleep, and make noise! My mom has a Blue and Gold Macaw he is a big noisy bird lol So cute tho, but he just likes to sit in one spot, sometimes he comes down for a little bit but always wants to go back on his perch, he has a cage about 3 ft by 5 ft for when he is home alone. It's nice to see people care, u r a good person for saving him!
    Good luck!
    MummaMel

Answer by MummaMel at 8:51 PM on Feb. 21, 2010