my grandson who is 4 has just turned horrible with fits

He won't mind his mother hits her throws himself down and tells her to shut up. She can't seem to discipline him at all. I don't know what to tell her to do. I took him up and put him in a room and told him when he's done he can come down. But he still screams and throws himself. Have any suggestions. She is a single mom and daddy says to spank him. IDK

hnyweelz

Asked by hnyweelz at 2:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd wonder where the horrble behavior came from all of a sudden. Was he calm before and it just came on? If so, were there some big changes in his life? Sometime that can spark some nasty tantrums, but the saying "shut-up"... no way! That would have to stop. Where did he learn that I wonder. I would ask the dad on that one! Oh and as far as the tantrums, you are right, just pick him up calmly, put him his room, telling him he can come out when he can behave like a good boy and let him have his fit. It's the only way LOs can let out all their pent up emotions sometime. Good Luck!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• She needs to be consistent in whatever form of punishment she chooses. At the age of four, time outs work well but I would choose a spot that is neutral. Some children will relate punishment with their rooms and have difficulty sleeping. This doesn't always happen, but I wouldn't chance it.

I also recommend watching SuperNanny, as silly as that sounds, I feel so much better after watching her and more sure of my parenting techniques and I get some good ideas from her too.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 3:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• time out in a safe place in your home where the child won't hurt themselves is good. Taking priveledges or toys away is another way to go. I would watch supernanny to get some other ideas. Its a really good show. Good luck!
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010