Do you let your 2 year old throw toys?

What are or were your rules regarding throwing toys? Sometimes I don't see the harm and I want to pick my battles but I want to know if I'm alone in thinking this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No, I don't let her throw toys. I don't want her to break things or hurt someone/something. She goes to time out for 2 minutes.
    Anonymous

• I completely agree sometimes I feel as if I'm saying dont do that or no all day. But she has a younger sister so I dont let her throw toys in the house
    twogirlsandmore

Answer by twogirlsandmore at 2:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No way she is very aware that throwing toys or anything for that matter is not allowed!
    Anonymous

• No, I never let my kids throw toys. I did pick my battles, but this was a battle I figured worth fighting. Cause it can escalate into throwing other things, like rocks when they are outside which did not happen either. Throwing toys can hurt someone or something, besides they can break their toy and who will they come crying to then...? Yeah I never wanted to hear those tears.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thats a big no no in my house no throwing toys allowed!!
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 3:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Absolutely not. The rule is no throwing toys. Period.
    Anonymous

• We have that as a general rule but sometimes we make exceptions. Like this one time the kids had collected up all their teeny beanie babies (the ones that McDonalds sold in the 90s--we found a whole bunch at our thrift store for like $.50 each and had like 30 of them) together and we ended up having a beanie baby war in the living room. Eventually I had to stop it because the kids and Daddy were getting a little too aggressive and one went flying and knocked over a cup which spilled all over the couch. Someone always ruins the fun.
    Throwing anything hard is an absolute no.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Mines 16 months so it depends on why he threw the toy. If its out of frustration or ill behavior. I totally bust him, if its a result of playing then its a case by case basis.
    FuzNet

Answer by FuzNet at 3:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thanks so much. Sometimes I am not very logical about things. I don't want to have too many restrictions and then have to follow up on everything or else be one of those "no" parents. What constitutes throwing? Like would taking it out of the toy box and throwing it to the ground count as throwing?
    Anonymous

• You are wise to pick your battles and understand that sometimes "let" is an impossibility. My boys loved to throw everything. I agree with FizNet-it depends on why they are throwing (and what). We used the general "careful" in regards to playing. Kids for the most part are a "case by case" thing. General how to play nicely can include an occasional thrown toy. My kids are rough housers which I know is a no no in some houses, but they have learned the limits and how to play. They are 10 and 15 and our ping pong matches are not for the faint of heart!
    justmyopinion

Answer by justmyopinion at 3:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010