Do you censor language and what your kids watch on TV?

Am I the only one who is uneasy about the idea of my 2 1/2 year old growing up and learning about adult concepts. I don't know if I go overboard but I highly censor what she is exposed to. Anyone else? When do you plan on easing up a bit?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, we censor - language, tv, radio, books and mode of dress. There is nothing wrong with promoting self-respect and consideration for others, which is what you are doing when you teach your child to mind what they see, hear and say.
    Anonymous

• I've always been very careful about what my kids are exposed to. Now that my girls are becoming young ladies I let them have a bit more exposure, this is my evil plot to sneak talks in with out having "the talk" Anything I let them watch is still pretty PG-13, but I want them to ask me "what's that?!" lol It's working so far. However, I'm divorced and their dad watches horror movies in front of them :( Scares that crap out of them :(
    Marsella

Answer by Marsella at 3:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Absolutely I censor like everything. She ONLY watches kid friendly shows (all on DVD) and any adults who are ever around her know that they need to watch their language. We have a piggy bank at grandparents house so if they (or my siblings) cuss when she is there -regardless if she is awake, etc- the cusser pays $1 to my DD's piggy bank.
    Anonymous

• For the most part I only let my husband watch the news and shows about home improvement or sports in her presence. Do you think I'm going overboard? If he lets a swear word slip I just about lose it.
    Anonymous

• no i really don't censor what my boys watch on movies , tv when the hole family is watching something.. but when they are just the ones watching the tv i do put on pbs, nicktoons,spourt
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 4:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't really. At 2 my kids were watching CSI with me (well they were in the room, the shows rarely interested them). They didn't pay attention to anything that wasn't brightly colored or had singing in it. Now they are 9, 8, 7 and 3 and watch whatever they want. We have a list on the satellite that has all the kids channels on it and they know to turn to that to easily find stuff that is geared towards them but they are allowed to watch stuff on other channels (99% of the time they choose Disney or Nick). They have free range of movies rated G and PG and most PG13 movies. They've even seen R rated (depends on what the R rating is for).
    We swear all the time (my husband is much worse and I do occasionally warn him to watch his language because it gets out of control). the kids are not allowed to swear and they know why. It's never been an issue. My kids are normal.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My DD is 7yrs old.... I rather my child hear bad things either on TV or whatever when I am around her. That way I can explain to her that it isn't nice and not to say it. Than have her learn all the bad things in school....My DD loves watching "House" NCIS & CSI with daddy and I....and Final Destination movies
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 4:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I censor and I believe it is my job to do so. I am the parent and I am responsible for their mental, emotional and spiritual state of being and I will censor until they are old enough to take over responsibility for that.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yes I always did and now my daughter does the same with her kids. They are not allowed to use filthy words and they know that the garbage on TV and some of the PG-13 and R rated movies is a lesson in how NOT to live. They are already very mature and have high moral values. It is a Mom and Dad's job to teach kids. /
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Only something I think would be too bloody or violent for them. Otherwise we dont.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 5:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010