Daughter (2 1/2 years old) does not eat warm meals.

Hi!

Since my daughter was 8 month old she hadn't had a single warm meal. Not one bite of vegetable or meat.
Does that sound familiar to anybody?
When she was a baby she had warm meals for a while. Then as she got older and you get bits and pieces she started spitting it out. So I thought, maybe it's the lumps. I blended food, I gave her solid bits, I gave it to her warm, cold, covered in apple sauce, yogurth, spread on toast and made vegetable juice myself. Nothing.
Because of the daycare group, she knows the names of most vegetables. She knows meat and tells stories about the "poweeer!" you get when you eat it. -Meanwhile I just let her, because I can't force her anyway. And to me she does not seems short of any nutrition. She's smart, happy, active and grows like mad.
I try to create a varied diet by the things she does eat. (t.b.c.)

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 2 year old's favorite food in the world is a frozen waffle still frozen. Kids are weird. As long as the cold food is balanced, don't worry.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• ... But is there by any chance the possibility that all of a sudden she might join into family dinner? It would just be soooo nice to prepare one meal for everybody. At the moment it's three different ones. Me because I'm on a diet (everything's fat reduced/ free), my husband thinks he needs meat everyday (a male meal) and something for our daughter.
    Please tell me there's hope! lol
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• is the problem just that it's warm? if that's the only problem, toss her plate in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes before dinner so it can cool down!
    Anonymous

• The temperature doesn't matter. I tried it all. Maybe she finds swallowing it uncomfortable, but why would she eat potato chips and other "hard stuff" then. GP and dentist said there's nothing wrong with her throat.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Maybe she had a tummy ache from warm food. My doctor once told me that you can get sick from warming up food in a microwave if your stomache is not used to it. IDK test it out . You never know, it could be a phase. But she has to start eating warm food soon.....
    Anonymous

• I don't make separate meals for my kids. They know that they can eat what we're eating for dinner or they can wait until the next meal.

Answer by missanc at 4:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• At two and a half, she is certainly old enough to eat with the family. We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule

Answer by rkoloms at 8:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2010