My mom seems to think that this is an issue that needs to be brought up with my son's ped.

My son has been taking two 2 hour naps during the day (2 hours up - 2 hours asleep basically) & sleeping roughly 11 hours at night since he was like 5-6mos old. This makes him one happy camper & us too :] He's 13 months old & my mom seems to think this is a serious issue & wonders why he's still sleeping so much during the day. She thinks he's missing out on learning.

He's on track & even ahead for certain things for his age so of course I keep shrugging it off, but now I'm wondering if it's normal for him to sleep so much? She's almost trying to make me feel bad, but it's not like I'm forcing him to sleep. He gets drowsy same time each day & actually welcomes the crib. Maybe it's 'cause he's an energetic little monster while he's up haha.

Any opinions would be nice ladies!

ours

Asked by ours at 4:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds pretty typical to me...Check out this website and show it to her!
    http://kidshealth.org/parent/general/sleep/sleep.html#
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Well my almost 3 yr old takes a 2 to 3 hour nap. She will also sleep 11 to 12hs at night. At there age then need sleep to grow. So there is no problem with him.
    Anonymous

• My 14 month old sleeps 12 hours at night, sometimes a little more and he was taking 2-2 hour naps until last month when he went to one usually 3 hour nap in the afternoons. Your son's sleeping sounds perfect!

Answer by missanc at 4:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would say he's fine. He is the one that is wanting the nap, you aren't making him. As long as he is energetic while awake I don't think there would be a problem.
    Jessie1689

Answer by Jessie1689 at 4:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• So what's normal for the first nap they drop? Is it morning, or is it more often that they just take shorter naps instead?

Just so I have a head's up :]
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Perfectly normal, and may I add, I'm jealous. I'm lucky if my 16 month old takes one nap a day for an hour, tops (been that way since he was 12 months old), and at night he has NEVER slept more than 10 hours in a row... Ugh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Missing out on learning? LOL. No, that's what my 16 month old does, to a t. It's sooooo nice.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sounds normal to me. My 2 younger kids are almost 3 and 4.5 and sleep about 11 hours a night and take a good nap (1-3 hours) almost every day. I wouldn't worry. Kids need sleep for optimum learning, too!
    Anonymous

• My dd was in that stage as well.... she's now 2 and still sleeps 10-12 hours at night but completely dropped one nap at 15 mos, then the other at 21 mos!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Am I reading this right? Your child sleeps every two hours like an infant, then sleeps eleven hours at night? That isn't healthy and could mean he has a vitimin deficiency or some other health issue. You do need to bring it up to your Pedi. One nap a day is normal. Whether it's for 1-2 hours, but every two hours is something an infant should do not a toddler. Your toddler should be awake most of the day except for 1-2 hour nap in the afternoon. Aside from that he should be awake and playing.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010