Working mom's: How do you do it all?!

How do you work, do the laundry,put it away, cook dinner, vaccuum, dust, wash dishes and still have time to actually spend time with your family? I mean it's no wonder the kids like daddy best. He gets home and it's play time while I clean up the table and start laundry. I only work part time though so I feel bad asking Dh to help to much. I know je works so much harder than I do since he has 40 our weeks...How do I do it all and still get to play?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Now, I SAH, but take this for what it's worth. It sounds like you are working hard, too. Since you are working, you do need help. You are one woman and you cant' do it all. If you were home all day, perhaps. I do everything, but it is a choice I have made. My husband is willing to help, and when I can't get it all done, he steps up without a complaint. You get home from your job and keep working. He isn't doing anything to help, and you need help. Enlist him!
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Seriously, I was just wondering the same thing last night. I work full time and have a 3 month old. I pick her up from daycare after work, feed her, make supper, wash her bottles, get them ready for next day, do laundry, pick up the house (sometimes while holding her) , feed her again, rock her to sleep, and then go to bed. I do all of this while my husband sits on the couch and scratches his balls. I love him to death, but man he is lazy. He works 12 hour days right now, but seriously, could you atleast take the garbage out or put your dirty clothes in the laundry basket for crying outloud. Also, I'm expected to find time to workout and lose my baby weight. Oh, no where in there did I leave time to play with my child either. Really, what would they do without us.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• First of all, my kids don't "like daddy best." They usually prefer me for most things. And, I don't do it all. My husband helps out. He usually helps my daughter with her homework while I cook dinner. Often, he washes dishes after dinner or helps the kids with baths. I do all laundry on the weekends, unless there's something that has to be washed during the week. As for the other cleaning, I do it when I have time (after the kids are in bed, the weekend, or vacation days). I usually work out after the kids are in bed or during my toddler's naps on the weekends. We also take family walks together on the weekends.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You just get used to it and DO IT.. my son is only 2, I don't know how working mom's of 2-3 or more kids do it though... My son about a month ago started waking 2-3 times a night also. I get up with him at 5:30, that's the time he has picked to be "Wake up time MOMMY!" I make pancakes or eggs, then do the dishes, put a load of laundry in quick while he's eating watching cartoons. I sit next to him and we watch together til he's done, I take a shower while he plays, I start the car cause I live in MN and its freezing. then I get him dressed and face and hands washed, bring him to school at 8. My mom gets him at 2 from there and I pick him up at her house at 5:30- we run an errand or 2 then home to wake daddy who works nights. play, dinner, bath, bedtime at 8:30. I do more laundry, pay the bills, pick up the house and clean 1 room a night. then wake up with him lately 2-3 times and starts over again til friday.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Also, me and my husband are a great team! that's HUGE, he does work 12 hour nights but does the dishes and picks up the house when need be. Of course a typical guy clean but still, it helps. He'll pick up things we need from the store on his way home also and he's the cook in the house, we usually try to make 2- 3 meals on sunday's to last through the week.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• For myself, I focus on doing what I am doing right now and doing it to the best of my ability. Once that task is done, I move on to another and do the same thing, focus and do my best. Before you know it...lots of things are done.
    Anonymous

• It isn't easy. Today my 6 year old was sick so I was able to be home. My husband and I rotate being home when the kids are sick. I get up at 5am workout for an hour then get ready for work. I get everyone else up and make breakfast. We eat and my husband cleans up while I get the kids lunches made and we are all out the door at 7:45. I take the younger kids to school my husband drops the older kids off. I work all day usually right through lunch so I can leave at 5pm. I pick the younger kids up from daycare and my older kids from my moms. They do their homework at daycare and my moms thankfully. I start dinner and usually throw in a load of laundry. My kids play, read have a friend over or what not. I switch out laundry and do some cleaning in between while checking on dinner. My husband is home by 6pm and we eat the neighbor kids eat with us their mom work until 7 so this way they get a hot meal before 8. Cont.
    Anonymous

• My husband cleans up the kitchen while I switch laundry and fold whats in the dryer. The neighbor kids go home and then we usually do something as a family. On Tuesdays and Thursdays the kids have Karate from 7-8pm. At 8:15 the kids get their baths or showers then they are off to bed. They all usually read for a half hour. At 9 my husband and I have an hour of alone time we usually pick up and then have sex sometimes we just lay in bed cuddling and read together. By 10 we are usually asleep.

The weekends the kids have chores and we usually have a fun family activity. Anything I cannot get wiped down during the week is cleane thoroghly. The kids are very good at wiping their bathrooms down before bedtime and I do mine at that time as well. I will be glad when I can quit my job. My husband is being promoted in 4 months to Regional VP his salary will quadruple and I get to be an at home mom can't wait I am tired.
    Anonymous

• I'm fortunate in that my husband helps as much as he can. He came home tonight played with the boys some, made dinner and did dishes.

I know someone whose husband does nothing, seldom has a steady job and she works full time. I can't imagine what my life would be like if my husband didn't help.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 6:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It is not easy, some days I feel like a hamster on a wheel, always running but never getting anywhere. House and family are a never ending thankless job. I work full time in the spring and summer months and part time in the winter. My DH helps out, sometimes more than others but for the most part he does pretty good. I am lucky, I have 2 DD's that are in their teens and they help out a lot with our little ones as well. Now we are like a well oiled machine. I think you need to have a heart to heart with Mr. Ball Scratcher. Tell him you are tired and a relationship is a two way street. To be vulgar, remind him where his dick goes. You need help, he is there, it is not fair for him to sit on his butt while you run like a headless chicken. I was a single mom of 3 for yrs and worked 2 jobs and went to school, I cried myself to sleep alot. Talk to him!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:57 PM on Jan. 13, 2010