For breastfeeding mothers, what foods have you discovered, make your baby more gassy?

Our daughter has been having gas problems and spits up alot. My doctor said some people think broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes can make it worse. What other foods have you avoided and had it help your babies tummy?

moviemom22

Asked by moviemom22 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Collard greens gave her bad gas. Also, whenever I ate yogurt that's upset her tummy and she'd spit up real bad.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 4:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It was strange but I had to avoid milk products, he would spit up more and have bad gas when I had cereal or something like that. Kinda makes sence, he was allergic to all the milk based formulas we tried..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 4:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• usually how it works is if it makes mom's tummy sour or gassy, it does the same to baby. broccolli does nothing to either me nor my baby, nor cauliflower. any form of beans i stay away from with a 10 foot pole. i also stay away from grape juice (similar reaction to normal people's to prune juice)
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Gassiness in baby is actually more often caused by mom's letdown or dairy in mom's diet.

On www.kellymom.com you will find a great article on causes of gassiness in baby and ways to combat it. It will really help.

For us...it was overactive letdown. I adjusted nursing positions, bye bye to all the problems including gas.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I had problems with peanuts (but not peanut butter), chocolate, green peppers...broccoli & cauliflower...beans (legumes)...I think that was about it! Oh - if I ate a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast she'd have a major blowout that night - same when she was older and I fed her oatmeal, lol!
    Anonymous

• Nothing. Neither of my babies has had problems with my diet.
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 5:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Has she always been this way or is it new? I ask because my dd never spit up and then around 5 months old she started spitting up A LOT...then about a month or so later she just stopped...I have no idea what it was about but my doctor said it wasn't a big deal as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain. She would spit up and smile right after and never seemed to really notice she did it so I wasn't worried. Seemed to just be a phase...good luck to you!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My daughter spit up a lot because I had an overactive letdown. I'd start looking into that first before eliminating foods.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 5:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• For me it was a combination of dairy, caffeine and overactive letdown. Once those were taken care of, The gassiness went away.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The only thing I couldn't eat was pepperoni.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010