does this seem right? pediatrician's suggestion for milk

My 16 month-old never switched from breast to cow's milk (always spit out cow's milk -- I've offered it at least once a week since 12 months). Now she's weaned. She eats cheese and yogurt a lot... she's gaining weight fine. Her pediatrician just suggested I try withholding water (the only thing she drinks now) until she drinks, say, 4 oz. of milk in a day. Is that really necessary? My instincts say no, that she's fine just drinking water and getting her calcium and vitmain D from diet. She won't drink soy or rice milk, can't have almond milk, so no use suggesting those :) I think I've tried it all... and I don't believe in adding syrups, but even that I don't think would work because I offered her some luke-warm hot chocolate around Christmas time and she tasted it, spit it, and then looked at me in disgust.

EmilySusan

Asked by EmilySusan at 4:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• No - as long as she is getting some form of dairy she's fine. Milk is not a necessary food. My 8 and 9 year olds would never drink it and they are very healthy. I've never heard of a dr recommending that.

Answer by missanc at 4:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Our bodies dont NEED cows milk. They need the calcium and vitamins that come with it, but if she is getting them another way I wouldnt worry about it......Peds dont always know whats best =)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 4:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I say you do what YOU feel is right. I agree with christyq we don't need cows milk. plus by the time that they have pasteurized it how much real nutrients are we really getting from it?

bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think that just sounds like a hospital visit waiting to happen personally.. You with hold the water and as you already know she wont drink the milk all it will do is dehydrate her.. Honestly they only recommend the milk for the fat so if she eats other dairy products I dont see the point in dehydrating her for no real medical reason.. I say do what you feel is right and maybe check into a new pedi(thats just my opinion though)
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Babies NEED a certain amount of fluids in a day, whether it's from milk, water, or juice. I think the notion of withholding water on purpose is silly. We were extremely lucky with our daughter, it only took a few weeks for her to switch from formula to cold cow's milk. But some babies just don't like it. I think what you're doing is fine. You know your child better than anyone else =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• LOL I'm sorry to laugh but I think it's funny she spits it all out. If she's getting enough calcium, vit D, etc through other dairy & other dietary stuff, no, there's no need to force her to drink milk. If you do want her to drink some, try changing what you're giving her - if you keep trying whole, try 2%. If you're using a low fat, try whole. Might work. But don't take away the water - I can't believe a doctor would say to withhold water, yikes! A lot of kids don't like milk for a while after weaning.
    Anonymous

• No, don't withold water! She's fine. Mine don't drink milk, but they eat a lot of dairy. I'm not even sure we need dairy, because you can use vitamin d drops (or the sun) and get calcium from other foods. But we like dairy, and so that's that.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Okay, thanks ladies. I wasn't even really thinking of doing it, but you know how sometimes you are thinking something isn't a worry and then someone else's worry gets you worried... The pedi did mention dehydration... she said "at this age, she's not in danger of getting dehydrated... not if you withhold the water for part of a day and she'll be eating that whole time..." Still, even if this is true, I just don't see the point. I just think she's in the habit of recommending 16 oz of milk a day as the simplest solution to calcium and vitamin d needs. She's young. We like her otherwise; I don't really see the need to get a new pediatrician, as we're in a phase of our lives where we're moving every year or two anyway, but I don't think I'll force the milk issue either.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Go with your instincts. You're her mother and you know what's best for her. If she doesn't like milk, then she doesn't like milk. Force feeding her milk is only going to cause her to resent you. Do what you think is best. If she's healthy and happy then you're doing the right thing.

Never withold water from a child. That is soo wrong. I don't know why a doctor would even suggest such a thing. You can become dehydrated in a day if an adult doesn't drink any sort of liquid. Don't buy into him telling you she can't get dehydrated, she very much can. That's why we drink liquids throughout the day so that we don't get dehydrated.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• there's supposed to be "special" fats that are in milk that aren't in the other dairy products that are listed. her brain needs these special fats, that's why your doc wants her to have milk.
    Anonymous