Haiti cursed by "pact to the devil" according to Pat Robertson, thoughts?

Televangelist Pat Robertson said Wednesday that earthquake-ravaged Haiti has been "cursed" by a "pact to the devil."

"Something happened a long time ago in Haiti, and people might not want to talk about it," he said on Christian Broadcasting Network's "The 700 Club." "They were under the heel of the French. You know, Napoleon III, or whatever. And they got together and swore a pact to the devil. They said, we will serve you if you'll get us free from the French. True story. And so, the devil said, okay it's a deal."

Robertson said that "ever since, they have been cursed by one thing after the other" and he contrasted Haiti with its neighbor, the Dominican Republic.

"That island of Hispaniola is one island. It is cut down the middle; on the one side is Haiti on the other is the Dominican Republic," he said. "Dominican Republic is prosperous, healthy, full of resorts, etc. Haiti is in desperate poverty.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 4:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The American Catholic says the voodoo pact Carpy is going on and on about is bull too: Although Voodoo has been sadly ubiquitous in Haiti, there is no evidence of a pact between Satan and Haitian insurgents. Robertson is not the only person to propound this myth, An article debunking this myth is here and here.  This of course is far from the first time that Pat Robertson has said something factually challenged and insulting.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 12:28 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Pat Robertson is an idiot. Huffington Post is an idiot for giving him more publicity.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Pat Robertson is a complete idiot. Not too fond of Huffington Post either, but yeah... Ridiculous.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 4:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• There is some truth to what he says.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The people of Haiti are suffering, and THIS is what this "CHRISTIAN MAN" has to offer??? What a joke.

Manco, I hear ya about giving him more publicity, but i want to HEAR what these people are saying anWHERE it is coming from

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I am totally NOT reading the article. I hate it when these high as mighty religious types think that every time something bad happens, it's because they crossed God. It's like they are the ultimate shit starters.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sweet, Pat Robertson is a publicity hound. And an ass. Calling him a Christian is an insult to Christians, IMO. Kinda like REVEREND Al Sharpten or REVEREND Jesse Jackson.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sweet, Pat Robertson is a publicity hound. And an ass. Calling him a Christian is an insult to Christians, Yes, but not only does he call himself one but he has MANY followers!.....and he is spreading this and people are EATING it up..look at one of the above answers ...

IMO. Kinda like REVEREND Al Sharpten or REVEREND Jesse Jackson.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Anon 3:59, no I cannot. I am a mother of disabled kids and it does not offend me. It is a word and that's all it is. I believe I used it accurately, due to these bible thumpers' lack of intelligence.
    Mental retardation is a generalized disorder, characterized by significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficit. That is my opinion of these peoples' minds.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 5:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010