3 year olds and burping

Can a 3 year old control their burping? This is why I ask. But, first let me say that I do not have a problem with my 3 year old burping. I do not think it's rude. I just think that it has it's place.
There are times when I am trying to talk to my son for discipline for a misbehavior and he'll just burp in my face. It has happened a few times so far and I'll tell you that it ticks me off. It's rude to burp in someone's face. And I know that as a child gets older, than can control when they burp. Such as some burps are forced out for attention. Like when boys have burping contests or are just being gross. But, I want to know at which age children can burp on purpose and when they can control it. Is my son burping in my face to be disrespectful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No one can control their bodily functions. That being said, there are some individuals who can make themselves burp. When I say they can't control it, I am talking about the body's natural urge to burp. My 4 year old burps when he has to, and then says "excuse me".
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 4:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think they do it by accident honestly because my daughter will have some uncontrolable ones at times and it is aggrivating when you are right there and it pops out in your face, lol.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 5:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It sounds like to me he's doing intentionally. You can force a burp out, just like you can force a fart out. It's not healthy, but it can be done. If he's doing it repeatedly then it's intentional.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My son is 3 1/2 and burps purposly. You can tell he's trying to make himself burp and sometimes he'll just make a burping noise. He says excuse me everytime even on the fake ones. He's gotten out of doing it so much though. He would do it in my ear when i wasn't paying attention. Seems kids pick up and figure out everything before we think they should be able to lol. But after he burps does he have a smile or smirk on his face or just a different look of haha? When my 2kids do something on purpose I can usually tell by their looks.
    Anonymous