What are quick, cheap, and easy things to do to make your house look nicer before listing it for sale?

We are planning to put our house on the market in the next month. What are some quick, cheap, and easy things we can do to make it more appealing to buyers? We plan to refresh some paint and clean really well, but what other things should we consider?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Home & Garden

• My folks have a real estate business and the homes they stage are under contract within days for rentals and sell within 60 days, even the commercial property. They own property in NC, OH, and IL.

Hiring a pro cleaning company is well worth it. They can do in 2 hours what you could maybe do in 2 days.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Take down any family pictures, and do a major de-clutter. Make sure that you don't have too much furniture in rooms.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Take down all personal photos and declutter
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Clean up the outside, like weed and cut out dead foliage. Def get rid of anything personal. And use fabric freshener or plug-ins.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thanks! We will be moved into our new house before we put this one on the market. I was planning to have it completely empty. Should I leave some furniture?
    Anonymous

• Making storage space look bigger is key - empty as much clutter from closets as possible and stack boxes neatly and not too high. A key thing to buyers is storage space, so if it looks like you don't have enough room for YOUR stuff, they will think there won't be enough room for theirs. A storage unit would be good to get - the less furniture and stuff around the house, the better.
    Clean up the yard. Curb appeal is the first thing a buyer notices.
    Shampoo carpets.
    Kitchen, bathrooms, and yards are usually the biggest selling points in a house. Make sure these areas are at their finest possible appearance.

Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sorry - didn't see the last OP post before my post. No, empty is GOOD.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 5:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I disagree. Empty is not so great. That's why there are staging companies to make it look like a home not just an empty house.

I completely agree about having no clutter. People want to come in and picture it as their home.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 9:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• There are staging companies, yes, but they are expensive, first of all, and if she is moving out before putting it on the market, just leaving a few pieces of furniture would look trashy, not "staged". JMO. I am currently looking to buy a home and I MUCH prefer when the homes are empty - it makes it easier for me to imagine my own furnishings in it and it also makes me more comfortable when I really want to spend TIME in the house I"m looking at. When you are stepping around other peoples' stuff it feels like you ought to hurry through the viewing and get out, without really getting a feel for the house. When it is empty, it feels much easier to take your time and consider everything.
    Iskkra

Answer by Iskkra at 9:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• clean it, remove personal stuff(pics etc). paint the walls white. clean up the yard. fresh flowers.remove any clutter
    hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 9:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010