Am I in the right or should i do what my mother says???

Ok my mom and I have been arguing over this for a month. My mom keeps telling me that i need to start giving my son ( who is now 7 months as of the 8th) 3 meals a day of baby foods. I have only been giving him 2 "meals" a day. She wants me to start giving my Junebug breakfast,lunch and dinner. Is 7 months the right time to start this? I thought must of his nutrients where suppose to come from milk. I don't like the idea of taking his 1st morning bottle away from him.

MamaFLgurl

Asked by MamaFLgurl at 5:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• YOU are correct. Tell mom we've learned lots of new things since she raised you.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• you are right, even though he is eating he should still be getting milk with those feedings.
    mamaof2748

Answer by mamaof2748 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You both are correct. It can be done both ways.
    However, most of what he is getting should be from formula. There isn't harm in giving your child three meals a day. You can still give them, and should give them, formula after the pureed food. I started giving my son pureed food at four months. Pedi okay'd it. Though most of his his meal was formula.

You do what YOU think is best. You are the child's mother.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't think either of you are wrong... I think it depends on the baby and the parents choice on how much solids to feed. At this age milk should always come first anyway so it shouldn't have much of an impact on how much milk he takes in a day anyway. So he would still get his morning bottle and then about an hour later you could give baby cereal or fruit if you would like.
    I think at 7 months I was doing 3 meals as well.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would ask your pediatrician. Every baby is different and I trust my pedi and take what he says into account in all my decisions, but definitely feel like as MOMMY, I know best. (even better than MY mommy) :)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• By 7 months my son was eating 3 meals a day, but not instead of nursing, only in addition to. So you could give him a small amount of food at the normal "meal" time and then give him his bottle. My son had 3 "meals" with a nursing session right after and then two nursings as "snacks"

Answer by missanc at 5:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I agree with the above poster....my dd is 7 months and eats some baby food but I don't nurse her any less...
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Why are you even arguing with her about it? You are the parent of your child not her. End the argument and tell her you won't discuss your choices with her anymore or else you are in for a long haul as your baby gets older.
    Anonymous

• formula/breastmilk always first and solids second as experimentation not nutrition.  http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedselintroductie/blw/engels.html

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My children weren't even getting one "meal" a day per their choice at that age and the doc said is was perfectly fine. Until about 12 months their "meals" are just for getting used to the texture etc and NOT for nutrition. Mine were breastfed and around 9 months started eating table food with us. They are now 2.5 and 4.5 and very happy healthy eaters.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2010