Toddler Schedule?

I know this probably gets asked a lot but I am at my wits end. My daughter is 2 years and 7 months old. She has already transitioned to no nap and it makes me batty. But that isn't really a problem right now, problem is, our whole lives have been turned upside the last few months with my mom passing and we are now living with my husband's parents. Well when my daughter was 18 months old and we were living in our own place, we could tell her goodnight and she would just walk to bed and crash. No hassle at all!

Now, we have to fight and scream and make it such a headache just to get some sleep. I've been trying to get her on a schedule but with grandma always around spoiling her and letting her do whatever, it is really irksome! I would just like to know how you guys do it with a two year old. Any examples of schedules will help. Thanks so much

thesexyburr

Asked by thesexyburr at 5:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I feel you! I have a daughter EXACTLY this age, and she's always been very receptive to a solid schedule, and now all the sudden things are going haywire. SHe has new fears, nightmares and night wakings, all sorts of things that are making her fight sleep; I also feel you with the living with relatives issue, because we did it several months ago for about 6 weeks and I feel like we're still undoing some of the problems that arose from that situation. It's hard enough to keep parenting consistent when there are just two caregivers; add in grandparents and others, and it can be so hard, even with the most well-intentioned of folks.

I would start with two goals -- consistent meal times, including scheduled snacks; and consistent bedtime, including a wind-down ritual (bath whether she needs it or not, certain number of books, songs, whatever, all in a predictable order. Hold a household meeting so that everyone's on board. GL
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If you were looking for specific times, here's what we do:

milk upon waking, breakfast around 7:30 (our two toddlers, 16 months and 21 months, are usually up by around 6:30), morning snack at 10, lunch at noon, nap at around 1 (our 2 year old won't sleep every day, but she has to have quiet time), milk upon waking, snack at 3:30 or 4, dinner at 5:30 or 6, bed at 7:30 or 8. It used to be strictly 7:30, but we're recovering from a time change from travel...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 5:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010