How would you feel about a comment like this?

Last week my MIL took my son for a couple of days when she got home he was asleep hes a big boy 50lbs and she decided to pick him up out of the car and carry him, she slipped on some ice and broke her arm, and when i spoke with her to see if her and my son were okay she said 'oh if i didn't put my hand on his head like i did, he wouldve smashed his head off the cement and been dead' I was upset she would make a comment like this to me just using the word dead i didn't think it was a proper word to use seeing i was concerned. what do you think??

jsimonds220

Asked by jsimonds220 at 5:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• A little loony, but I've heard lots of older women talk that way. They make things more dramatic than they actually are. Every thing my aunt says comes out like that. Makes me want to roll my eyes.
    Anonymous

• Maybe she was just trying to explain how bad of a fall it was and she feels she did the right thing by protecting his head. I don't think she said it to offend or hurt you.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sounds fine to me. She was just saying he could have died in her own words. People communicate differently and I try not go get worked up because in a lot of cases they aren't trying to hurt you Especially if you trust her to watch your son I'd assume she has a decent relationship with you and meant no harm.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 5:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• yeah maybe i am just over pregnant right now and over sensitive she was trying to protect him and really messed her arm up bad like surgery bad i just freaked (not on her) just in my head that she said died i just didn't like that word it bothered me, but i do trust her to take my son and am glad they (MIL&FIL) are so good to my son. Over pregnant (2 days over my due date as of today!!)
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 5:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• She dramatized. Cut her some slack, she broke her arm. She was either on adrenalin or pain killers at the time. He didn't die. I fell with my grandson on a tile floor. The first thing I did was protect his head from the tile floor. Yes I was glad he didn't crack his head open but the guilt made me grieve over it for a long time. His little head could have cracked like a melon but I didn't say it to my dd. The event was traumatizing for me. Little kids can be so fragile. Lite is precious. She meant no harm, I'm sure.

Answer by admckenzie at 5:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The woman fell and broke her arm while carrying your child in her arms, and you are worried about a comment she made that hurt your feelings? I don't think you can blame this on being pregnant.
    Anonymous

• Listen don't start getting mean about it i call my MIL every single day to see if shes okay and how her arm is and when it happened I called my FIL before any of their sons even called and offered to go down there 3hr drive, I just bugged out with the word DEAD i don't like the word dead and my son in one sentence, i just think she could have used diff wording thats it.
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think it just scared her and that just poppe dout of her mouth. I wouldnt be upset about it.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• *popped
    nsrush83

• She's a drama queen....get over it....you act like she cast a spell or a curse over your son just for saying the word 'dead'...make like a duck and let it roll off your back like water.
    Anonymous