No more free shopping bags at 3 Walmart stores in Northern California

Bring your own bag to Walmart stores in Citrus Heights and Folsom to haul home all those eggs, soup cans and sandwich meat – or shell out 15 cents to buy a reusable bag at the store.

No more free bags at checkout at those two Sacramento stores and a third store in Ukiah.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. launched an experiment in October at the three stores to ease customers into the BYOB habit as the huge retailer attempts to reduce its global waste a third by 2013.

First, the stores posted signs encouraging customers to provide their own bags and also began selling reusable bags. The 15-cent model is royal blue and lightweight polypropylene fabric.

A roomier model sells for 50 cents. All are washable.

http://www.sacbee.com/business/story/2443669.html

Good idea? Bad idea?

mancosmomma

Asked by mancosmomma at 5:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I use resuables. My favorites are the ones from Aldi - they're bigger and have handles that don't cut into your hand at all. I have some Kroger ones too, but the Aldi's hold more. I really don't care one way or the other if WalMart does this, since there are already stores that have been doing it. I am seriously amused by the people whining about it, though - if you were really trying to save money you wouldn't be shopping at WalMart in the first place. Meanwhile, nobody is forcing anyone to buy anything because nobody is made to shop there at gunpoint. If you absolutely cannot save a coupon for small trash bags and stock up on them for free when they go on sale, shop at Walgreens or CVS once in a while and save those bags instead.

The comments on the journal about this earlier today were sheer entertainment!
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• wow like they don't make enough money already
    jsimonds220

Answer by jsimonds220 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I bring my own bags; I like them better because they don't tear and dump groceries all over. I think it's great that the largest retailer in the U.S. is trying to be more environmentally friendly. However, I do occasionally mooch grocery bags from my in-laws for a variety of uses.

Would you be angry or happy if this became a national trend?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If that happens in my area I will not shop at Walmart any more. I usually go there for the bathroom stuff diapers & clothes, but I will start to go some where else.
    Anonymous

• Just what I was thinking---wow like they don't make enough money already
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Interesting, there are lots of stores who already charge for bags and no one complains about them being money-grubbing. 

BTW, the bags were never free, they were just included in the cost of your groceries. 

Anonymous

• I think that's a great idea!

about a year ago, I decided to buy one of the green bags at a store. OMG it makes shopping so much easier! for a whole weeks worth of groceries, what was 20-30 plastic bags is now 5-6 of the reusable ones. They are also so much easier to carry because I can put the straps up on my shoulders.

aldi charges you for bags too, but no one complains about that.
    Anonymous

• I already use my own bags, but never got any for only 15 cents! That's a good deal.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I already bring my own bags. for the same reasons mancosmammas said. They are just more convenient.

Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My mom already brings her own bags and I try my darnedest to remember every time I go. But with 3 kids and all the craziness that goes with that I sometimes for get and would probably be aggravated when I got to the store and realized I had forgotten LOL. Although if there was a penalty I would probably remember :) I dont see a problem with this. The cost of the reusable bags isnt much and if push comes to shove and you are THAT broke you can reuse the store ones! I do not have a problem with this. I DID learn today though that Target gives you 5¢ for every bag you bring in and use :)

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010