Breasfed baby will not eat solids!!!!! What am I going to do??? PLEASE HELP

My baby is one year old now and she eats less than a jar of baby food a day. I actually have to trick her to eat and I am trying to wean her because her doctor said I needed too. So here I am my baby wont eat and I feel like I am going crazy trying to make her eat I giver her all kinds of good foods but she doesnt like to eat I have even tried limiting her nursing so she will eat nothing works she still refuses!!!!!! I do not know what to do and my babys nutrition is very iportant

HeidilovesNyla

Asked by HeidilovesNyla at 5:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My kids NEVER had jarred food. They both started eating table food at about 9-10 months. The doctor and every one else are wrong that it is a bad thing to nurse your child and the AAP and WHO both recommend exclusive breastmilk until AT LEAST 6 months and then breastmilk and other food until AT LEAST 2 years. Keep nursing as much as you want and tell the doctor to shove it. As for eating the chunky food I am not sure about that and I would talk with the doctor about it. Do a google search on Baby Led Weaning and see if might be something you would like to try. It is what I did with both my kids. They are 4.5 and 2.5 and both are great eaters. You can give iron supplements if you can't get her to eat other food. No human EVER NEEDS cow's milk, that is a bunch of bull. We drink it at our house, but they DO NOT NEED it.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Why oon earth would you need to wean her? And did you try homemaking food, like giving her avocado?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Just wait a little while, or try giving her the same things your family is eating, just cut up tiny. Why does the doctor want you to wean her right away?
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Try making it a game, put soft, mushy foods on her tray in front of her and eat them from her tray, then when she reaches for them say nooo don't eat my food! in a playful manner, she will want to try the food because you don't want her to. Or try just putting it in front of her and acting like your not watching, my niece will NOT and never has ate in front of anyone, she just does not feel comfortable with it. Good luck!
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• there are all kinds of ways of being creative when it comes to food and also they will go threw spells of having a favorite to not eating at all but the key is to be consistant little bottles to nights only and a cup during the day puree fruit and vegies make popsicles carrot in mac n cheese is a favorite or just plenty of finger foods bread stick and so forth, eventually she'll get it, she'll get hungry enough and she'l eat, don't fret good luck
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 5:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Have you tried soft finger foods? Very cooked carrots, bananas, etc? I would NOT wean her. All that is going to do is give you a baby with NO food intake vs her getting your milk now. Have they looked into WHY she wont take any solids? She may need some feeding therapy or something. Any allergies?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 5:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Try soft table foods instead of pureed baby food. DD is 13 months and recently decided that she only wants to play in the purees, not eat them. Give her soft cubed foods, though, and she eats them up like candy. Don't worry about weaning. You breastfeeding is not making her not want food, it is good for her. What would you do if she was weaned and refusing to eat? Bananas, ripe avocados, cooked peas, carrots, green beans, cooked apple bits and peach or pear bits are all things we started on.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 6:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have been told by my childs doctor she needed to be weaned and given whole milk. Everyone tells me I need to wean her! Apparently my family and doctors think my milk is not any good anymore. My daughter has not been getting enough iron. I was completely upset by the fact I have to wean her and it is a very big challenge because she loves to nurse with all her heart. Its her confort and its not easy to try to get it away from her. I just need to know how to get more food into her
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 6:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My daughter is also very touchy when it comes to chunks she gags she has trouble with eating anything chunky. I do not know if this is normal because I see other babies eating very chunky food and she has six teeth now so idk why she cat eat chunky food but I just grind it up best I can. Its a hard process and it feels good to hear something positive. I feel like I should have never breastfed her because everyone is making it sound like such a bad thing. The doctor especially made it sound like breastmilk wasnt any good. I have been discouraged about it because I thought I was doing the right thing by breastfeeding and now it seems like I am not. She is my first baby I am only a teenager and its so hard knowing whats te right thing to do when you get different opinions from everyone.
    HeidilovesNyla

Answer by HeidilovesNyla at 7:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Baby food is nasty! Give your baby real food: avocado, baked sweet potato, tofu, whole grain pasta, hummus, scrambled egg, etc.

Pick up a copy of Baby Led Weaning at the library: www.babyledweaning.com

Answer by rkoloms at 7:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010