does unemployment pay if you volunterily leave ur job?

I have recently given notice at my current job and i was just wondering becausee I do not know if unemployment does this if the work environment was unfavorable and i parted with unsolveable differances. please no bashing

lambdarose

Asked by lambdarose at 5:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, it usually does not. You would have to prove that it was a hostile work environment, and that is difficult to do.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• NO! they do not pay you if you quit. Unemployment is for people that did not have a choice when they got laid off.

You cannot choose to leave a job and expect the government to pay you for it! Keep the job if you need money and don't have another job waiting!
    Anonymous

• Nope
    Anonymous

• No, you have to be fired of layed off, but willingly leaving your job was your own choice, and they're not going to pay someone who quit their job, regardless of what issues the person with the job or not.
    Anonymous

• Depends on the state. In my state you can be penalized for 10 weeks for quiting. Also the unemployment office will contact the employer and ask there side of the story before they deny or accept your claim. That is what they do in my state. If you were fired they can deny you all together. Being laid off is the best chance for getting your benefits without too much delay or hassle.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Nope.
    Anonymous

• i said no bashinng. i appreciate the response but u got issues the one that said keep the job. u don;t know my situation and u don;t know anyones situation. so i think should just answer the question more civil or don;t answer at all. i was going to be accused of something i did not do and i can not be in a environment like that. i have worked in a similar company for 8yrs with no problems and when i moved it all changed so i was just asking a simple question but yet again can;t ask any questions on her. i should know that by now.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 6:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• In Texas, if you quit your job due to a work-related or medical reason you might still be eligible. It is on a case by case basis. The best thing to do is contact your area's local unemployment office or Google it and read their FAQ.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 6:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• In WI you can quit and collect benefits but it definitely has to be for a reason that is not able to be fixed. I have actually looked into it because of my place of employment. I would be able to collect if I quit but I am going to try and stick it out because there are no other jobs.
    Anonymous

• No. You have to be fired or laid-off dear.
    Ihatelaundry

Answer by Ihatelaundry at 6:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010