What do you think my chances are of FINALLY having a girl?

I know it's pretty much just a game of chance but ... I have 2 sons and I am 17 weeks pregnant with twins (not identical) ... we are having an ultrasound to hopefully find out the sex(es) tomorrow and I REALLY want at least ONE girl. What are the chances of having FOUR boys in a row?

It may sound silly to some but I can assure you all, I don't have a "childish" reason for wanting a girl and I definitely won't be disappointed if they are both boys ... it's just that I am not planning on having anymore kids after these two are born and I would like to have a little girl so we can experience the kind of mother-daughter bond that I have with my own mother. Of course, I have a strong bond with my boys and I love them with all my heart but it's just not the same as having a daughter.

I know that no one can say for sure ... but what has your personal experience been in this area? How many kids do you have? How many boys/girls?

JenMarie2007

Asked by JenMarie2007 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Well, I have 4 sons so I would say the odds are pretty good that it could happen to you, too. My husband is one of 3 sons. His brothers (who are 63 and 53, hubby is 43) both had only sons (3 sons and 2 sons). Our only son who is a dad has a son and all of my husband's nephews have only sons (2 sons, 3 sons and 5 sons). His mom had miscarriages so she may have lost girls but me and both of my sister in laws, my niece in laws and my daughter in law just had boys only with no miscarriages in between any of our pregnancies.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:58 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• some men just don't carry the gene for making girls. I'd say if neither of the twins is a girl, give up and adopt unless you want to end up with 15+ kids before coming to your senses. LOL

Anonymous

• wow, that was really rude, and not the least bit funny.

I'm not sure what your exact chances are, but statistically it is about 50/50. I'm crossing my fingers for you. We too are hoping for a little girl this time around.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 6:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Chances of have 4 boys in a row is very good. My BIL in the youngest of 4 kids, all boys. My FIL is 1 of 7 boys (no girls). I knew someone growing up that was 1 of 4 girls (no boys) Her father wanted a boy but after the 4th girl they gave up.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thanks for the answers. Anon, for your information... this pregnancy was not even planned -- I was on the pill but an ER doc put me on penicillin for an abscessed tooth and conveniently forgot to mention that those type of antibiotics make the pill ineffective! LoL. And if you had read my post, I said that I don't plan on having ANY more kids after this. I wasn't actively trying for another baby because I wanted a girl... but it would be nice!
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 6:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I had three boys and then a girl...It CAN happen =)
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I also had 3 boys and then our girl, right after I gave up hope of ever having a little girl of my own and realized that maybe it would be scary to try to raise a girl in this society. But I finally got my surprise and I'm so happy.
    adove01

Answer by adove01 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• maybe an anon got deleted but the one i'm seeing doesn't seem rude. she just meant that if you do have the 4 boys and you still would like a girl you can adopt. at least that's how i read it. :-) i would say 50/50 but i don't know since it's probably 50/50 that baby A will be a girl and 50/50 that baby B will be a girl. well not exactly because of course with identical twins, they would have to be the same... hm... i'll still say it's about 50/50 that you will have 2 more boys! :) good luck tomorrow!

i know a woman who had 6 boys before having her girl :) but of course i know many people who ad boys and then girls

oh but anon is wrong in saying that some men can't make girls. all men have XY chromosome. if the X goes on, it's a girl, if the Y goes on, it's a boy. :) every man has an X and a Y.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:59 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't know what to tell ya, it's all 50/50. Well, mostly. It is true that some men are more prone to make boys over girls for vice versa. My FIL had 3 boys, my husband, the oldes of those 3, has just given me our 3rd boy(due end of april). Maybe I can get a girl outta him next time around, haha. I'll have to check your profile tomorrow, I"m curious as to what you have now!!! :-) GL momma!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Well I hope you have a lil girl! My sis has 4 boys and wants a girl my lil sister has 2 girls and I have 2 girls and a set of identical twin boys! Keep us posted! I wanna know what ur having!
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 3:19 AM on Jan. 14, 2010