How was your life growing up?

Did you have a great family life? Horrible family life? Did you parents stay married or divorce? Were you rich or poor?

My parents divorced when I was five. It didn't really affect me until I was an adult, when I started feeling a lot of guilt about their breakup. (Even though I know it's not my fault, but whatever.) We were never rich, but we never went without. My older brother was a DICK to me! He still acts stupid sometimes =)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My parents divorced when I was 6 months. ( to be expected) My mom was only 15 when I was born.
    Horrible home life. We were poor, things didnt get better til I was 13 and moved in with my grandmother. Then it was great til I was 15 and my mom came back, then she left again when I was 17.
    My brothers were always butts to me LOL. That is what brothers do tho.
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It was not normal. Mom and dad were married (divorced when I was 26) but they were foster parents, had bio kids, adopted kids. It was a freakin' zoo all the time. They spent so much energy and love (especially Mom) on everyone else's kids, the two of us who were bio (me and sis) totally felt jipped. We had anywhere from 3-8 kids in the house at any one time. It was a 5 bedroom house though, so we weren't squished or anything. We couldn't do much 'cause we never had enough money. GAH. It makes me mad just thinking about it. There were too many damn kids.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 6:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I had a wonderful childhood.  We lived comfortably and my parents were happily married until my father passed away 5 days before their 49th anniversary.  I am an only child so I had my parents undivided attention and was spoiled rotten.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I am the youngest of 3. I have a sister that is 8 years older than myself, and a brother that is 3.5 years older. Our dad was murdered in front of my two older siblings when I was only 21 months old. When I was 7 my mom started dating who is my now step father. None of us liked him. He was a jerk. He threatened to hit us. He beat the sh*t out of my mom, but she still ended up marrying him. When I was 13 he started acting sexual toward me. Eventually something happened when we were on vacation and my mom finally made him move out of the house, but a few months later when my mom found out there was nothing that could be done because it happened in another state, she allowed him back. I never left my room if he was home. My older brother moved out because he could not stand our stepfather, I felt so alone. To this day I don't know how to act when I am around him. My kids will never visit my mom without DH and myself.
    Anonymous

• I had a great childhood. My parents divorced when I was 19, but by then I was married and with a child of my own. I am the oldest of 3 children, and I could not ask for a better brother or sister than the ones I have. They are now married to wonderful people I am proud to call family. My dad was an engineer and made great money. My mom was able to be a SAHM, and she was wonderful. She sewed our clothes and Halloween costumes, baked, cooked and did all kinds of things with us from sledding to going to the art museum. She exposed us to nature, art, and music. She was a room mother at our school. I was very very lucky to grow up the way I did. I did not know how hard kids sometimes had it until I was grown. I never wanted for anything. I hope my kids can say the same about their childhoods when they are parents. I lost my dad, this July, very sudden...I am still in shock and miss him so much. RIP daddy.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 6:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I had a horrible childhood. My parents married and divorced twice. The first time was when I was 6 and the second when I was 14. We were dirt ass poor. I was molested by my mom's brother when I was 7 (she doesn't believe me) and I was molested by her other brother when I was 15 (I never told her because she wouldn't believe me anyways). My dad was physically abusive to me and my brothers for years and none of my friends would come over because of this. Watched my brother get hit by a truck (handicapped for life now) when I was 14, my mom blamed me and said it was my fault. After the second divorce my mom started verbally abusing me telling me how stupid I was. I went from all A's to F's. Got into drugs at 16, got pregnant in highschool, got high to drown out the abuse, dropped out of highschool, married the father, got beat up by him. FInally left him. Yea, it was bad but I have a GREAT life now so I wouldn't change a thing.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Imagine moving in and out of the trailer park, watching your mom bring home boyfriends all the time, watching your dad get drunk every night of the week, living in a tiny 1 bedroom house with your 5 siblings and seeing your parents sell your food stamps then yell at you when you're hungry. Imagine seeing your mom and dad fight and getting lined up to pick who is the better parent with both standing there. Imagine having to drag around your little sisters who are 7 and 11 years younger than you because your mom is out with friends and dads too drunk to watch them. Imagine trying to kill yourself at 12, coming out of a coma and your dad throwing pills at you and saying "do it right next time". Imagine wearing your older brothers clothes to school in 5th grade and getting called a lesbian because your parents won't buy you school clothes. Imagine dating young but getting told your boyfriend needs to take care of you now at 12.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It was worse than yours, but not the absolute worst possible.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It was normal to me but looking back I think some would find it odd. It was a religious household so everything done was based around our beliefs. So to many it might have seemed repressed and I can see why. I was quite naive about many things "in the real world" til I was an adult and out on my own but I wasnt that naive LOL. I carried a lot of responsibility, more than I should have for my age(5) because my mom sort of shut out my older sister emotionally and someone had to pick up the slack and that was me.

We were not well off by any means but we had decent things and my parents made sure we got nice stuff for holidays(probably shouldnt have worried that much but they did). We had chores and no allowances, we had lectures if we didnt do well in school,etc.

They loved each other but werent IN love and so they divorced a few months after I graduated from high school.

Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 7:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My childhood was filled with emotional, mental and physical abuse- not from my step father but from my mother. She was and still is CRAZY. We were poor, dysfunctional and trashy. I couldn't WAIT to get the hell away from there...

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010