How can I learn to cope with my son's speech delay? He's about to be three next month and he is still on a 20 word or 25 vocabulary. I feel bad for him he sees a speech therapist and a special instructor since last year and it doesn't seem to help much. I wish I could help him a whole lot more.

I feel so alone in this battle. He was recently diagnosed with Soto's syndrome which doesn't give me any closure because the geneticist told me all of the diseases and conditions that can arise with the condition. I have been a nervous wreck ever since

Cleydarys

Asked by Cleydarys at 6:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• are you reinforcing what he is learning with the speech therapist yourself at home?
    I have know several women who have their kids in speech therapy but don't do anything at home so it's really pointless to even do the speech therapy.

maybe consider teaching him sign language so he still has a way to communicate.
    Anonymous

• I myself haven't dealt with this but I feel for you, knowing a mom at our school that has and what she had to deal with. You have to get out there and be his advocate. You go to the doc and the therapist and get in their face and ask every question you have even if you have to repeat it 100 times until you get the answer you need and want. If you need more answers you need to find someone else somewhere else who can help you. Keep at it. You are not alone. There are more moms out there and probably some here... they will probably find ya. Good luck. You're a good mom... you're doing right by you're child just by seeking out more answers!!!
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 6:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My son has done better with some speech therapists then others. Give it time. They don't work miracles, but he will get the hang of it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• It is difficult to find out your child is not perfect. You don't say anything about your child having other symptoms of Soto's Syndrom so it sounds like your son is lucky. It's not all that bad for a boy to only have a vocabulary of 20-25 words when he turns 3. I have a son with a genius IQ that had a very small vocabulary at 3.

I also have a son that had developmental delays and started PT, OT, and speech therapy before his first birthday. He continued speech therapy until he was around 10. His IQ is 80 and he passes as 'normal'. He has a slight lisp. He has a large vocabulary because he grew up living in family housing at two universities while I was a grad student. All the adults he was exposed to were involved with the university. His brothers lived at home while they went to college. He is now 21 and is starting college in a week.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i stutter and speech delays my hole life and have been in speech therapist for 18 months to i was 18yrs old its a hard thing to accept but u will be ok if u need to ask me any question about speech therpist or just suppot IM me
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• From what I've read most the problems children have with Soto's Syndrome resolve and the only lasting problem they may have as an adult is coordination problems. This is great news! You don't need to be a nervous wreck. The condition is not life threatening and your son will have a normal life expectancy.

You may want to consider homeschooling your child. Special needs students do very well homeschooling because of one-on-one learning. There are no problems with self esteem and how other students treat them.

You may be able to find a support group for parents of children with Soto's Syndrome. It's pretty rare, occuring about 1 in 14,000 births. There may be a group online.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Thank you everyone for much some much needed support. I would also like to comment on my first answer, we do enforce he speech therapy after the therapists leaves. I do one to three hours of one on one floor play with him and I narrate everything that I am doing during the day. His pediatrician says that some children learn at different paces than others so that was very good news.
    Cleydarys

Answer by Cleydarys at 1:50 PM on Jan. 17, 2010