How do I take the pacifier from my 2 1/2 year old?

My son is almost 2 1/2 and loves his binky. (He only uses it for naps & bedtime) He's never been a good sleeper. We've always had issues when it was bed time, but he's finally doing well. He's in his toddler bed!! My problem is that I have a 10 month old daughter who still has a binky. How do I get rid of his? Do I get rid of both at the same time? I've tried cutting the tip off and I give it to him, but he says that it's trash. He still asks for another though. Help!! Any ideas???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't take it from him. Let him have it until he outgrows the need.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Take it from him. He will be ok :)
    threeyobs

Answer by threeyobs at 6:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Throw them away. That's what I did with my child. The pacifier wasn't missed.
    Anonymous

• Find a stuffed animal or something for him to attach too. Let him sleep with that and get used to it for a week or so then just take it. My dd was 18 mos, I got her a stuffed animal and took her binky. Within 3 days she didn't want it! She found one the second day and I told her "big girls don't need a binky! Those are for babies and you are not a baby". She gave it to me immediately and never wanted one since. Maybe you could let him give his to his younger sister? She did cry HORRIBLY the first night, wimpered the second night and went straight to sleep the third night.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I heard that if you dip it into something sour - that will put him off of it. You could give him a big boy lecture and make him throw out his own binky and give him something he would have different than his baby sister, maybe a cool toothbrush. Every child is different and I like the sour binky plan most because once it becomes unappetizing to him he will quit himself and you don't have to lie to your child, or resort to bribing.
    ProudMuslimMa2B

Answer by ProudMuslimMa2B at 6:30 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I do a lot of supernanny watching. this is what she does. she makes up a binky fairy. tell him a neat little story that he is a big boy now and that there are other babies that need to have binkies and she wants to take his binkies to them. And if he gives up his binky he will get a special surprise the next day. Then have him help you put them in a container and put it some where. the next day put a couple of little toys in it and help him open it up. he will think he got a gift from the fairy. he may cry the first night but you know he is ok. Maybe he wont though if he is given a cute little story to go with it and he helps get rid of them. If you wait til he outgrows it you may end up with a 4 your old with a binky.
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 8:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Slowly take it away more often.Just like smoking because that is a pacifier & thank god I quit.
    Jodie269

Answer by Jodie269 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2010