Do you think its right to cut an 8 year old girls hair to look like a boy for a punishment ?

threeyobs

Asked by threeyobs at 6:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• angryNO!!!!! My dad used to do that to me and that was the most cruel thing to do to a little girl. I hated him for doing that to me.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• r u kidding? what kind of act would justify a so called "punishment" like that? I think in most peoples mind it would be more of a psychological abuse then punishment.

You want your 8 yr old girl to be torrmented and humiliated to teach her some kind of lesson.. can you not think of a better more suited punishment then this?

wow!!
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No, I don't, and I actually think that's abusive to do something to intentional embarrass them and make them feel self-conscious. What kind of parent would want their child to feel that way?
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Just so you know this is not my child. I know somebody that just did this and I thought it was abuse. She's not even her mother just a temporary caregiver :( I feel so sad for this little girl!
    threeyobs

Answer by threeyobs at 6:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• NO! that is way to harsh for punishment. take something away- but not her hair.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No. This is abusive behavior.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My parents did that to my sister and she acted like a tomboy since. I don't think it was them punishing her though - they just gave her a bowl cut. Either way, she was a cute little boy that wore dresses - I still have one pic of it. Anyway, no I wouldn't think cutting hair is a "good punishment," ever. If your child loves her hair, she may be devastated and if she is not really the girly type, she may not care! There are better ways to discipline your children. No disrespect intended.

ProudMuslimMa2B

Answer by ProudMuslimMa2B at 6:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No. It has caused life long tension and at one time hatred towards my Mother. It was cruel and caused a kid who already got teased..to be teased worse. She'buzzed" my head because I fell asleep with gum in my mouth and it got in my hair by my ear.
    Anonymous

• it really depends on what they where punishing her for i can say i kept my oldest daughter hair at chin length till she was almost 10 because she wouldnt stop sucking on the ends but after she out grow that i let her have it at any length she wanted...and to this person being tempory caregiver then report them to the caseworker of CPS.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have to say it depends on what the punishment was for. If she had purposely put gum in some other little girl's hair or something like that, then I might have to agree that it was a suitable punishment.

It's hair. It'll grow.
    Anonymous