Weaning emotions..

I've been breastfeeding for 3 months and recently found out i have herniated discs in my spine & sciatica on both sides. I have a hard time standing, can't feel my right foot & have constant shooting pains down my legs. I'm supposed to be on pain killers & naproxen and I will also be getting some kind of steriods. I don't want my daughter getting the side effects and I can barely hold her to feed her anymore. CONT

Marix3

Asked by Marix3 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CONT..i dont want to FF but i cant handle the pain and i want to be able to play with my daughter. I love breastfeeding and i feel like such a let down when i think about taking it away from her. When i think about weaning her from the breast i feel like i'm mourning. How do i deal with these feelings? I feel like a total failure because i wanted this for so long and planned on breastfeeding until she was ready to let go
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 6:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• If she got ONE DROP...you're a roaring success.

Naproxen is OK while nursing, per the National Institutes of Health. Not preferred, but not considered a reason to stop nursing. NIH says prednisone is OK as well, in doses up to 20mg. Do you know how much they want to give you?

Be aware that high doses of steroids can make you loopy and unable to function...watched that happen with my husband.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would talk with the doctors about this and see if there are things they can give you or do and still allow you to nurse. If not then it is mourning just like anything else and it will eventually pass. I would suggest finding a good psychologist to talk to about it so it doesn't turn into PPD. I watched my SIL have a c-section and then was not able to nurse when she wanted a natural birth and to nurse her child and she fell into a very deep PPD for a while.
    Anonymous

• You can take all those meds and breastfeed. There are just a few meds you can't take and breastfeed.

I became very ill while pregnant with my third and youngest. I had to be on 10 meds and I had to have IV meds every 3 weeks while nursing right after he was born. I was even rehospitalized and on more than that and breastfed in the hospital and went home on IV antibiotics for 3 weeks because I had pneumonia and septicemia. When he was 2 months old I was diagnosed with cancer. Through 2 hospitalizations and cancer surgery he never had a bottle.

I was on high dose seroids and was addicted and it took a long time to come off. All my doctors knew I was breastfeeding and wanted me to keep doing so. I have immune deficiencies and tests were done and my baby also had pretty much no immune system.

I was on nsaids and prednosone 80mg (usual dose is 5 - 10).
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Nsaids or stoids are not on the AAP list of contraindicated drugs. Pain killers are used all the time in breastfeeding moms with C-sections.

Little if any drug gets in the milk and the advantages of breastfeeding and taking meds outweigh the risks of artificial feeding. The risks of artificial feeding are many and well documented. It is much easier to take care of a breastfeeding baby if you have pain and mobility issues than to artificial feed, even if you think you have someone else you can rely on. You will be "disabling" yourself if you wean and have to rely on others to formula feed.

I had to use a wheelchair and it was hard to breastfeed in public in the wheelchair. I had arthritis in every joint (polyarthritis) and fibromyalgia along with back issues and nerve damage in my leg. My husband left when the doctors told him I would never walk.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Aww Gailll, you are one strong woman! I'm not sure what they are giving me yet, I'll find out tuesday but I keep thinking about it because they told me my daughter could get side effects. I didn't make a choice yet but I figure, if I feel this way now, how will I feel when my daughter is done breastfeeding. You ladies are right & any meds they give me I will look into and make sure they are okay to take. Thank you all so much!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 7:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• good luck friend.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2010