I'm new at this.....sleep overs!

My daughter has been invited to her first sleep over at a kindergarten classmates house. This girl and her mother are new to our area and I have no idea who she is. She enclosed a note saying we could stop by and visit or call to calm our fears....I just don't know if she has a boyfriend or what and I don't know how to ask without being too nosy but I feel like I need to know...is that weird? The girl has a different last name so I am assuming mom is divorced or something along that line. They live close to our house but I don't know how to ask all of the questions without sounding like a psycho! Do 5 year olds have sleep overs?? It's not the girls birthday, just a party to help her make friends. Any advice is welcome!

khedy

Asked by khedy at 6:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It wouldn't be impolite to go over and meet the family and get a general idea of whats going on. Also, try asking other Moms that might know her. If you do it casually, you'll be just another Mom. If you didn't ask questions, you wouldn't be.

Good luck =)
    Anonymous

• If you find that you are not comfortable with it, just say no. You can tell them that you aren't ready or your daughter's not ready to be away from home with people she doesn't know. My daughter is 6 and she has slept over at her little best friends house once. She woke up crying in the middle of the night because she was scared and in an unfamiliar place. These are people we completely know and feel comfortable with, yet she still had issues in the middle of the night. I don't really want her to stay overnight with friends for another year now. On the other hand, her little best friend has had no issue with staying the night at our house.

Don't feel bad if you have to say no. Your the parent, you have that right. Five is a little young and these are complete strangers to you.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I think five is a little young for a sleepover. I wouldn't even feel comfortable letting her go over and play if I didnt know them. I think its great that the mom wants her daughter to get to know some of the kids, but maybe you can meet at a play area instead? Then, you can get to know the mom too.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 6:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I started sleep overs in kindergarten. I dont see problem with it personally.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 6:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We had our first sleepover last weekend and the kids are 7. I was a wreck all night waiting for the child to wake up and freak out wondering why he's in a strange house. Not to mention all the work from evening through mid morning. We did NOT want to start this and got sort of pushed into it. I won't do it again. My 7 year old came into my room and started to cry, saying he was uncomfortable with this kid in his room. The other parents said they had only had one successful sleepover before. Bottom line, I think it's way too soon. Just me.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 7:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I learned a hard lesson after my dd's last sleepover. Ask about smoking! She came home smelling like smoke, all her clothes smelled like smoke, and her asthma was awful the next night.
    Bluebonnet72

Answer by Bluebonnet72 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Five seems a bit young for sleepovers IMO. I guess it depends on the child.
    I personally would be very uncomfortable sending my child on a sleep over where I hadn't met the parents before. I'm pretty sure my Mom always had met the parents of my friends having sleepovers prior to the event, and lord knows times have changed a lot since then.
    I know the mother and father of my daughter's best friend, the girls are 7 and almost 7, and neither of us feel that our girls are ready for a sleepover and we even know each other!
    Anonymous