preeclampsia

Hey, Im a whopping 38 weeks preggers and for the last few visits to my OB, they have noticed high BP (which is mostly because I get nervous during the checks) not much swelling but I suppose if your feet swell while your preggers its bad now...
and protien in the UA (but I have been eating a lot of PB)

So I was wondering if anyone else had this concern... or what you girls did? Did you have to deliver earily? My doc said if it doesnt go down soon my might induce me, Im kind of scared, this is my first.... and I dont know how to help my BP go down.. I dont want it to affect baby...but its so nerve wracking..being told to relax all the time...it makes me nervous.

Nerdymama

Asked by Nerdymama at 6:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Lay on your left side... Take it easy. They should have you on bed rest for the last two weeks... If your symptoms dont go down they will induce you. Thing is, if it gets too out of control you can have seizures and it will put your baby under a whole lot of stress.

It can turn out to be very bad... If you dont take care of yourself.

Rest, sleep, lay on the left side... Chill. Veg out. You have no choice but to chill. If you dont, nothing good will come from it.

Ive had 4 kids, 3 I was pre-eclamptic with. It can turn into toxemia and thats what you dont want.

Best thing that can happen: Youll finish your pregnancy, go into labor on your own and have a healthy baby.

Worst thing: Your body will freak out, get you really sick, youll start having seizures and your baby could die.

I am just being blunt. It is harsh but it is a reality.
    Anonymous

• Preeclampsia is a disorder that occurs only during pregnancy and the postpartum period and affects both the mother and the unborn baby. Affecting at least 5-8% of all pregnancies, it is a rapidly progressive condition characterized by high blood pressure and the presence of protein in the urine. Swelling, sudden weight gain, headaches and changes in vision are important symptoms; however, some women with rapidly advancing disease report few symptoms.

What's the treatment?

Until recently, there was little that could be done to treat pre-eclampsia other than stop the pregnancy by delivering the baby early, usually by caesarean section.

Now treatment aims to lower blood pressure and includes strict bed rest and drugs. However, this doesn't cure pre-eclampsia - it merely holds it in check.

An injection of magnesium sulphate (the same chemical as in Epsom salts) can halve the risk of pre-eclampsia progressing to eclampsia.

G
    Anonymous

• Globally, preeclampsia and other hypertensive disorders of pregnancy are a leading cause of maternal and infant illness and death. By conservative estimates, these disorders are responsible for 76,000 maternal and 500,000 infant deaths each year.
    Anonymous

• I had it on my first wasn't detected till my due date so in the end had a c-section, second son I had HELP syndrome. So please look after yourself foods with magnisum might help bp a little (banana's ) stay away from salted foods. And rest all the way.
    Best of luck.

laika

Answer by laika at 7:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Peanut butter won't make you have protein in your urine. Other than preeclampsia blood in your urine would. Blood could come from bloody show or UTI. The urine would be positive for other things with blood if they did a full dipstick.

It may not be good to eat a lot of PB. They aren't sure why there is an increase in so many people being allergic to peanut butter. Eating a lot in pregnancy may be bad. Eating a lot of any food that people can be allergic to may not be a good idea.

High BP and protein in your urine are bad signs not to be discounted as nerves and eating PB.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:18 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sounds like someone is naive and doesnt want to admit that there is cause for concern. Take care of yourself and that baby.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 8:05 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Im worried as hell for my baby.. Im just scared... I dont know what to do ... Im confused and yes I am a bit naive.. but Im looking for support and help... Im sorry if it sounds like Im immature and turning a blind eye...I just want some help...
    Nerdymama

Answer by Nerdymama at 8:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• There is plenty offered help here, but dont find convenient reasons as to why things are happening. Truth is, you are probably sick and if you dont take care of yourself, you and your baby are going to be in a lot of danger.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 8:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010