Where is the Haitian aid money coming from?

I totally think this is a sad horrible situation. I have empathy for all.....but where is this $ coming from? How does the USA just send troops, aid, all this help so quickly and easily. What about how far in the hole we are as the USA? I still think we totally should help, but how can we afford it financially. I think morally it is a no-brainer, but why don't we have enough to fund health care, education, jobs......yet this type of help costs so much financially.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Some people have been donating since it happened. It is also coming from tax money. Also places like UNICEF and red cross raise money year round for disasters like this. So there is money

Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• we have money set for stuff like that. ..remember "evil" FEMA. ..they use money for that. & Red Cross gets donations
    Anonymous

• There is a fund in the budget
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• What gets me is that nobody has a problem paying actors and actresses up to $20 million per movie and some on tv shows up to $1.5 million, but when the USA goes to war, funds a new war craft, send aid to other countries but not within its own; but want to ask questions then! The US has its priorities screwed up!!! Why should people get paid soo much to entertain and this includes sports, when we have hungry, homeless, and jobless people out here!? I think if they want that kind of money they should put some back into the community. If I ever got rich(never going to happen, but IF) I always had ideas of opening a place that the homeless could come to, not just for food but education and computer knowledge, then aided in finding jobs. I know we all suffer around the world; but we have issues right here that need to be fixed before we help else where; and I understand why the US does help, I do but come on!!! JMO!!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Same place it always comes from these days - we print it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I just contributed to the Save The Children Haitian Earthquake Fund. I hope everyone does contribute to some fund such as that one or the Red Cross or to Unicef or whatever. Look it up online.....that is where some of the money comes from......people like me. I watched the news tonight and cried. I couldn't stop.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:22 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Why does it matter. If something happened here that killed 100,000+ people then we would want other countries to come to our aide. My soldier son is on call and within the next 48 or so hours will be there to help. Isn't that so much better than sending them off to war? Soldiers HELPING???
    Anonymous

• How can you compare private industries spending their own money on actors and actresses to the govt throwing TAXPAYER money around to every single country with it's hand out? We have our own problems here in America, and Haiti isn't our damn problem. We shouldn't send them a penny.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Soflashelley, other nations have come to our aid and are STILL coming to our aid right now as we fight two wars. What has happened in Haiti is a tragedy and hundreds of thousands of people may be dead. As fellow human beings we have an obligation to help. Your attitude is selfish and cruel. Thankfully most people aren't like you.
    mommy_lisa25

Answer by mommy_lisa25 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• BTW, MANY different countries are stepping in to offer aide to Haiti. We aren't the only country who is helping out. It's an emergency. What is the current estimate now? 100,000 dead? It's tragic!
    Anonymous