Anyone else not watch TV?

We dont have cable or anything. The most we will watch is our dvds.
I like the fact that I can keep all those new "cartoons" and things away from my young children.

Mrs.Owen86

Asked by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Kudos to you !!

We, too, did not have one until our boys were 12 and we got one for watching the summer Olympics.

After that, it was always a struggle: "no TV until your room is clean" - and all their things got stuffed and hastily thrown out of sight .... "no TV until your homework is done" - and suddenly they had less homework, or it got done hastily with no concentration.
    TV's luring effect on the brain has been well-known for decades. The only way we could combat it was by disconnecting it and storing it out of sight where it would have to be lugged out and set onto a table to turn it on.

All three of our kids did well in school (one got perfect SAT scores twice), and they also had time for the City Youth Orchestra, swim team, other sports, and volunteering as scouts with the Fire Dept.

TV and video games would have nixed that, I expect.
    They all got full ride scholarships & they're now successful adults.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• we do not even own one. when we want to watch something, that is what torrent is for.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:24 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I spent the last 4 yrs not having tv but my sister thought I needed one so she bought me one. I only get 3 channels but that keeps me from sitting here flipping through the remote all day!

Answer by admckenzie at 7:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We don't have cable, DH and I watch a few shows on the internet, we rent 1$ movies, we rarely go to the movie theater--there hasn't been anything out worth watching rightaway
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I very rarely watch tv. Most of my time is spent on the computer.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:48 AM on Jan. 14, 2010