Sins of the mother?

One of the contestants put through to the next round on American Idol last night is the daughter of the Focus on Family woman who led the protests against Obama's School Address early last year. (her audition & interview w/ her mother here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTvLYdNwo3I )

Obama supporters are grumbling and encouraging people not to vote for her if she makes the finals because:
"Sorry kiddo, but your mother is a cancer and cannot be rewarded, even through her child. "

Should a 16 year old be punished because people disagree with her mother's politics?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• no and i highly doubt it will turn out that way or at least i hope not.

Since this is the same audience that skips the presidential speeches so that they can watch idol and also get upset when its interrupted. lol it should depend purely on talent
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Wow.
    This is staggeringly spiteful, isn't it? ... I mean, do such people have no self-respect ... don't they know what a bad reflection such behavior casts onto the things they choose to support.

Obama's public relations people would do well to chastise such spoiled-brattiness and make it clear that Barack and Michelle Obama do NOT use intimidation and lobbying and denouncing people to get things done.

... Or do they?? ... Hmmm ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Sins?? Ha! Barbara is a wonderful woman and has raised wonderful children. She used to be a lefty. This just goes to show how the left will stoop to any level to silence the opposition. She has a beautiful voice and should be judged by talent not her mothers political views. How childish of the left.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Ummm, I'm an "Obama supporter", and I certainly wouldn't grumble about this... Now if she'd be spouting political ideas left and right (regardless of what those ideas are), I'd be a little ticked off, because let's face it, they have NOTHING to do with a talent competition, but other than that, I don't believe she should be judged on what kind of nutcase her mother may or may not be... I think it's a little silly of Crissy1213 to immediately say how this is a reflection on how EVERY "lefty" feels...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• The people at Focus on the Family are just people with what used to be "normal, mainstream" values.

Please don't tell me how segregation was once "normal" in the South.
    I'm brown.
    Segregation of the races isn't okay with me.
    Traditional social ideas are.

Martin Luther Kings niece, who is a member of the clergy, isn't afraid to stand up for traditional values.
    Plenty of people of color don't feel that they have to automatically be for anything that comes down the pike like the Democratic Party says they should.
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 8:06 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Anouck, you wouldn't care if you didn't think it was true. I have seen too many liberals, leftists, democrats, whatever name you wanna choose pick the silliest most childish things to whine about! It is CLEAR how the majority of the left want to "get revenge" on those whom shown opposition. (White house attacking FOX) Barbara was ON FOX, the MAJORITY of the left OPPOSE FOX. it's simple, anyone can put 2 and 2 together. I never said everyone... the majority isn't everyone.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No, she should not be punsihed just because her Mom is an idiot. It is not her fault. People...!!!!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• ooops, make that PUNISHED. Sorry.
    Lindalu2

• Good lord. I get daily emails begging for support from the RNC and the DNC and Obama's camp, and not one of them has said this, so if a small group of idiots is saying it, I care about as much as I care about a gnat.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:20 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yep. That's the risk you run when you do stupid shit.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 8:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010