Former smokers. How did you make quitting smoking easier?

I don't have TV, Internet (I'm on someone else's right now), or phone, just movies to watch that I've already seen a dozen times over. I can't use my car right now, and my husband is gone to work 8 hours a day. I also have no friends that live nearby, so I find the boredom making me crave a lot worse. Are there any candies, herbs or anything that helped you? I do exercise an hour each day, but that doesn't help for the remainder of the day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Health

• Quitting is never easy at all. First you need to want to quit. Then you just have to stick to it. There are things out there that can help. I just stopped cold turkey. Because I was tired of feeling like crap all the time. Good luck
    Anonymous

• I used DumDums. Any time I did something that I'd normally smoke during, I sucked on a dumdum. It worked for me, and it broke me of wanting to smoke while I was driving. Good luck! You can do it!
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I refused to fail. I did it for my kids.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Hon you have to do it for yourself,then your family and finally for the cost. I swear you will get through it just stay busy,try to do something with your hands like knitting,crocheting, oh oh I know try puzzles that should keep you really busy. Dont forget to praise yourself for getting through each day without a smoke. I quit cold turkey and I was a bear but my family knew I was doing it for them and for myself. Say prayer to for strength and determination and success. You can do it! Think of all the money you can use for better things!
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:27 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I didn't have a DH or family yet when I quit. But i'm really close to my sister. And every time I thought about smoking, I thought of how sad and crying she would be visiting me in the hospital when smoking made me sick. The thought of my sister sitting by me in the hospital watching me die was enough. I guilted myself to quitting. My family is Jewish, so we're guilt experts.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:29 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I also refused to fai read the book The easy way to quit smoking, it was an eye opener. The cravings will get less and less, just stick with it.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:44 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• i ate a ton of candy, cinnamon altoids were my favorite.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2010