Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is eating snow safe?

My daughters love eating fresh snow now that we have plenty and I was wondering if it is safe. I remember eating snow as a child and I turned out fine, but is it still safe?

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:14 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • I"m fine toooo. UJI just get occasdoinal seriuzers. JK

    I let my daughter eat it too. I just told her to stay away from the colored snow!
    MoonLover06

    Answer by MoonLover06 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • It's polluted. I personally wouldn't do it. Read:

    The real danger in eating snow is the large amount of bacteria it contains. The CSC analyzed 20 samples of snow from around the world and found high bacteria levels in all samples. The most abundant bacteria was Pseudomonas syringae, a bacteria that causes diseases in beans and tomatoes. The amount of bacteria in snow is comparable to the amount of bacteria children are exposed to when they play in dirt.

    Other Contaminants:
    Snow may carry other potential hazards. Some ski resorts make snow from reclaimed water that may not be safe for consumption. Snow may carry pesticides or toxins. As snow melts, it may form icicles. Icicles formed on old houses may contain lead or other heavy metals.
    Itsonono

    Answer by Itsonono at 8:55 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • I think it depends on where you live and how much smog/pollution is in the air. The first few good snows usually bring all that stuff down with them. After that you should be good. Ive always eaten the snow and Im fine but then Ive always lived where the air is super clean.
    Aqua_Jen

    Answer by Aqua_Jen at 8:56 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • heck no...of course it was fine decades ago..there wasnt as much pollution as there is now. I used to eat it all the time but i wouldnt tell my son its okay
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • if they eat a little its not going to kill them. It's how their bodies get used to fighting off bad bacteria and such. Same thing when we were kids. I wouldn't make them a snow ice cream cone.. but if they eat a little bit they might end up with a cold or something, but they're not going to die.
    kristal2146

    Answer by kristal2146 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • I'm going to agree with kristal...I'd just stick to the fresh snow that's obviously white and not trampled on.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • I think occssionaly is fine but not a steady diet of it. If your child is hungry feed them!
    Texan1993

    Answer by Texan1993 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • I let my dd eat it (not in large quantities). I pick and chooses my battles with her and if it isn't colored thats one fight I am not having. Itsonono's post said it is the same as letting your kid play in the dirt. I let her do that sometimes so the occasional handful of snow probably wont kill her.
    MooNFaeRie30

    Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:14 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN