Fifteen states may sue over healthcare reform

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – More than a dozen U.S. state attorneys general visited Washington on Wednesday threatening to sue the U.S. government if the so-called "Cornhusker Kickback," a special subsidy offered to Nebraska, is included in pen1ding healthcare reform legislation.

The subsidy, which was included in the Senate version of the bill, is "capricious and arbitrary treatment of Nebraska," said South Carolina's Republican Attorney General Henry McMaster, who has organized a group of 15 attorneys to pursue a lawsuit.

The group includes two Democrats, one from Oklahoma and one from American Samoa.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_usa_healthcare_states

I think they should sue. What is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes I do! I think they need to sue for more than that. How about the rest of the vote buying and bribery. How about the fact that the Constitution does not give the Congress the power to force the American people to buy any service or product. AND, it does not give Congress the power to levy a fine or tax if we choose to not purchase that product or service. This Congress with the backing of this administration has usurped the 17 enumerated powers given to Congress in the worse way. I hope more states join in and bust them for more that the Nebraska deal. We never needed or wanted this new "right/entitlement". We should insist upon it.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• They should sue. It's unfair to have one state to get a break as big as thing one.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 8:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• They should sue.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 8:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yet that isn't suing over All of healthcare as you so wish to say. That is one section. Oh, and that happens all the time. NEXT!
    Anonymous

• The Nebraska deal is a pure BS buy off. When I saw this title, I was excited. Then I saw it was only for the Nebraska deal. It should be because this WHOLE damn bill is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. It completely violates the 10th amendment and completely takes over states' rights. It is BS and needs to be stopped. With any luck, the Massachusetts election will give the ability to filibuster it and stop it.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

OK, small words - if they take out the section, they can't pass the bill. If they leave the section in, they are guaranteed to be tied up in court for quite a while. Either way, "All of healtcare" is involved.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP here. Anon 50, I didn't write the article. You don't like it, complain to the writer. Obviously YOU have no real opinion.
    Anonymous

• I hope they sue. HC is going to be a HUGE liability for the dems, and sounds like it may get hung up.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:54 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Who was the guy? From South Carolina? A Republican? Not too prejudiced is he? He is from the great state that features Sanford who spends the State's funds on flying to see his Argentinan girlfriend/soulmate. and the guy who yelled "You lie" at the President. Oh yeah, real trustworthy guys from SC There will be millions wasted on this effort to disagree with the bill...and just a portion of it.
    Anonymous

• So anon :27, you are okay with Nebraska getting FREE Medicaid benefits while the rest of the states have to pay? And by the way, read the article where it says:

"The group includes two Democrats, one from Oklahoma and one from American Samoa."

That makes this bi-partisan, doesn't it?
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:05 AM on Jan. 14, 2010