at what age should you quit helping with bath time?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• 5.
    Anonymous

• There's no correct "age" to do things or stop doing things. It's all about your child's development. I have a niece that is two who speaks english and spanish and can count to 100. I also have a 5 year old niece who still wears pull ups at night so she doesn't wet the bed. Some children are stronger in some areas than others but don't rush it. Try to pull away slowly. Start with letting them take a bath with the door open and check in on them periodically and make sure they're not just playing, but actually washing. Then take it from there. You can also ask them about their progress. Ask them if they are ok without you and if they need help. They may say they are fine because they just want to play with their toys but communication is always key, even at a young age, Good luck!
    OrganicMomnDad

Answer by OrganicMomnDad at 8:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• i guess i should be more specific...i mean with bathing.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Still depends on the kid. Do a test run. If the soap is dry when they come out, take them back in and do it for them. Eventually they'll wash themselves or at least figure out to get the soap wet before they get out ;)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have a 8 yr old daughter and noticed that she want to bath by herself. so i just let her do it. but most of my friend thier kids do it by 5. depends on you on how comfortable you are letting them bath by themselves
    Anonymous

• you should continue helping kids to brush their teeth until age 8 to make sure they do a complete job. I think the same applies to bath time. It's one thing to sit in the bathroom with the kid and direct them on how to properly clean themselves and make sure they are doing a good job and another to do it for them though. That should stop around 3 or 4 IMO.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• it depends on the child. My oldest could bathe himself and wash his hair by the time he was 4, I just needed to fill the tub. He was taking showers by the age of 5. My middle guy will be 5 in March and I still have to help him wash his hair.
    heathersarge

Answer by heathersarge at 9:28 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• my daughter is 7 but mentally she is 51/2 I wash her hair and towel/blow dry it and she washes and dries her body
    mom2ryneandsam

Answer by mom2ryneandsam at 10:39 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• 7
    Texan1993

Answer by Texan1993 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• my older boys are 4 and 6. i still wash their hair, but they wash their bodies and rinse their hair. they brush their teeth, and i check them. my 6 yo probably doesn't need my help, i just like to speed things along.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:22 AM on Jan. 14, 2010