My 2week old spits up what should I do?

She only drink brestmilk. I pump & brestfeed. After She burps she spits up. Then she wants more milk. should I give her more or just wait until her next feeding. I read that some times when they spit up that means that they drank more than what they need it to. she doesnt spit up every thing just some milk out. She just started doing this a few days ago. what should I do? Also after your baby burps do you lay them down right away or do u hold them for a few min.?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:42 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• feed her one once burp her feed her more and so on,she may need to be burped more often through out the feeding,also when she is done eating dont lay her flat,sit her up in a bouncy seat or something.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:44 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Buy some more burp pads.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My son had extreme spitting up issues, and I exclusively breastfed him ... what we found out two months after dealing with TONS of laundry and a screaming baby (because his belly hurt so bad before he would spit up - each feeding he would literally soak 1-2 cloth diaper burp clothes!!!), was that he had acid reflux (I was hesitant, but the baby Zantac worked instantly), and he had a dairy sensitivity. I cut out ALL dairy from my diet (a lot of breads even have dairy in them), and started him on a prescription of Zantac and the spitting up stopped! Have you tried changing your diet? My son is almost 7 months old now, and we're starting to reintroduce milk into my diet, and he seems to be doing really well with it. I would definately try avoiding dairy and soy to see if anything changes with her spitting up, best of luck to you!!! I would let her nurse whenever she seems hungry, even if it ends in a mess:)
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 8:49 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• after you feed her do not put her on her stomach to burp her ( dont press her against you ) set her on your knee and hold her chin and burp her that way it's pretty normal...if she projectile vomits thats when you need to worry spitting up is normal
    Anonymous

• it may be she is eating to much or may have acid relux thats what my 6 months old have since she born and spits up a lot
    dianaNbryanMami

Answer by dianaNbryanMami at 9:23 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I have the same problem with my 4 month old.... She soaks like 2-3 burp clothes everytime she eats! The doctor said she probably had reflux and they put her on Zantac and I dont think it worked at all.... We have changed her formula 4 times now! I feel so bad for her.... I just wish they would figure out what is wrong with her! Good luck girl! Maybe you should call his doctor...
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 9:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• heather: the zantac on my daughter is working she dont spid up that often
    dianaNbryanMami

Answer by dianaNbryanMami at 9:51 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Spitting up is normal. Unless it is projectile (forcefully shooting out of her mouth) than you don't need to worry about the spit up unless it is happening frequently even after she's done eating, or it starts becoming large quantities of spit up. You should feed her, burp her, and continue to feed her until she doesn't seem hungry anymore. If she spits up that's okay. Spit up actually consists of mostly saliva so you might think she is spitting up everything she just ate, but she really isn't. Also, it is recommended to keep a baby upright for at least 30 minutes if you can, after feeding them. And obviously don't wiggle her around too much. It might be hard to keep her upright since most babies fall asleep shortly after eating but don't stress too hard about it. If she falls asleep then that's okay...just lay her down.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I wanted to add to the above advice. Does she sound like she is gulping when she nurses? In the early weeks milk is in over production and your letdown might be a little forceful causing her to gulp in air. If tha tis the case, letting her suckle until let down or pump to letdown and let the initial milk spray into a burp cloth before putting baby back to breast might help out.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Is she nursing or are you exclusively pumping?
    Feed on demand... if she wants to eat again after burping, feed her. There should be no schedule, just feeding when baby demands.
    Spitting up is normal. It looks like more than it is, I promise.
    Hold her, lay her down... your choice. I could never bear to put my boys down as newborns, they were too sweet! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2010