Treadmill or eliptical to lose weight?

I am not a big fan of the treadmill for some reason. I guess because I burn more calories on the elliptical. Which is best for weight loss?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Ellipticals are much easier on your knees and give a great work out!

Anonymous

• i love ellipticals. i would buy one in a heartbeat if i had the money. theyre both good but the elliptical feels easier.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You will burn more calories on a treadmill if you power walk or run. Elipticals are not considered high intensity work outs and you will burn less calories on them.
    Anonymous

• From everything I've read, they're fairly comparable. I would go with what you enjoy the most. I get bored easily on the treadmill, but I enjoy the elliptical, so that's what I've been doing.

As long as your heart rate is up, you're burning calories. It's very much possible to get a high intensity workout on an elliptical.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I don't know which one is best for weight loss. I'm sure that varies on who you are and how you use each machine I have an elliptical and I LOVE it! It's so much easier to me to workout and burn more calories faster.
    PinupsnPincurls

Answer by PinupsnPincurls at 1:57 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I love my elliptical machine, although it takes up a lot of space.
    I can chose between high or low resistance. Low I go faster and increase heart rate, high resistance or high and then I am doing more muscle building. I think it works more muscle groups than the treadmill (personal opinion).

FYI - 1 lb muscle burns a lot more calories than 1 lb fat so heart rate is important for cardiovascular health but so is adding and then maintaining muscle mass. This conversion of muscle to fat is a significant contributor to weight gain as we age.

I hope you chose something you like and can stick with.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 4:20 PM on Jan. 14, 2010