At what age do kids stop using there hands to eat?

seriously at what age? Should a almost 4 year old even a 3 year old quit using there hands, especially for foods like salad with dressing, chicken, meats, pasta with red or white sauce?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried a reward system for this? Maybe if she can use her fork/spoon 3 times for dinner through the week then she gets to pick out a movie to rent or she gets 30 minutes of extra play time with you. Once she is consistently using her fork 3 times, then move it up to 4 and so on.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:41 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• 3 & 4 year olds should be using a fork/spoon for non-finger foods. However, sometimes, they will try to pick up food with their hands. Just gentle remind them that they need to use thier fork and/or spoon.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:19 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• OP HERE. JeremysMom- I have a almost 4 year old in May. she cant handle a gentle reminder because she can care less. I have a child who does not listen to ME or her Father. we tell her all the time use your spoon and fork and she doesnt. She lies to our faces. my sofa is facing directly the dinning table and she keeps grabbing her food with her left hand. its really gross and then im like i just saw you and shes like im not and she hides her hands near her legs and cleans it on the cushion of the chair. this has been happening for over a year now and she still hasnt gotten the clue yet we dont like it.
    Anonymous

• My son is 29 months old and has been using a spoon and fork for a long time now. We encouraged it. If you don't give the child the tools and encourage the use they will continue to eat with their hands. He doesn't even want to eat with his hands. He saw all the rest of us (Mom, Dad 2 siblings) using utensils and has wanted to use them.

I know a woman who has 3 kids, 18 months, 3 1/2 and almost 7 and I've hardly ever seen any of her kids use a fork or spoon. The oldest still drinks from a lidded cup.
    Anonymous

• Anon 27- both my kids use forks. it has nothing to do with that. it has to do with the fact my kids is a lazy kid and she wont use her fork and spoon. like i said we do tell her too and she completely lies to us when we saw her not using her utensil. so its not us, its her
    Anonymous

• My 9yo can't seem to figure it out. She drives me nuts and I'm constantly telling her to use a fork/spoon. Seriously, she's almost TEN!
    My 3yo can use a fork/spoon just fine for most things but occasionally needs a reminder when she is going from a finger type food (like chicken nuggets) to something she should use a fork with (like a vegetable). She's been using a spoon since she was 15 months without spilling (like with cereal...the toddler spoons we have are kind of bent with holes in the spoon to keep food suctioned to the utensil, she doesn't usually use those ones any more).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• JeremysMom- Does that really work? She has a IEP as well and her teacher said her Congenitive skills are delayed. dont know if that has anything to do with her lying to me 24/7, telling me NO and other crap
    Anonymous

• Message me and we will talk. I have been in a similar situation.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:46 PM on Jan. 13, 2010