Is it normal for a 5 year old boy to try to kiss another boy his age?

My 5 yr old tried to kiss his 4 yr old (future) step brother. He also pulled down the 4 yr olds pants and underwear and on a separate occassion laid on his belly. The 4 yr old told his father this a week later and seems to be upset about it. Should I be concerned that my 5 yr old is doing this? Is it normal? Should I bring him to see a Dr?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No its not u should c if this kid seen some adults doing this if so u need 2 talk 2 him don't yell jus talk and tell him it is really wrong
    kadmomma

Answer by kadmomma at 9:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• the kiss maybe, but the pulling down the pants and laying on his belly no
    You need to talk to him and find out where he has seen such things
    good luck
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't worry about the kiss - but the pulling down the pants & laying on him - he is learning that from somewhere. That should be dealt with.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 10:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My first concern is has someone done that to him? I would be greatly concerned as the mother of the 4 yr old who obviously was NOT okay with the whole thing. You need to talk with your child about good touches and private parts and bvad touches. Make sure he knows that is not okay and if anyone ever even tries that he should come to you right away. In the mean time I would not leave them unsupervised, even in another room.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:03 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Some of it may be normal but i would talk to him and ask why he did this. Has he seen you and your SO having sex or seen another couple having sex?
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• No, it's not really normal. I'd sit down and find out where he learned this behavior, but don't make him think he's done anything wrong, b/c if he's seen it somewhere or someone has done it to him, he may not know it's inappropriate. As for the kiss... I'm torn on what to think of that. On one had you'd think at 5 he'd know not to go around kissing other people that aren't family, but at the same time, if you give him kisses for affection, he may of just been trying to show affection for his new stepbrother. My boys, ages 6 & 3 will give bedtime kisses on each others cheeks and sometimes lips, they're young and as long as they're comfortable with it I don't see it as wrong. So I guess the question is WHY did he try to kiss his SB, what was the situation. That's what I'd try to find out from him.
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My 5 yr old is very loving and he has a new best friend at school and he told me he told "sam" that he loved him and wants to kiss him. We had a long talk about this.

wanting to show affection is normal however it is not normal to pull down another childs pants, and at such a young age. You need to find out what is going on with him so it doesn't turn into something more down the road.
    Deviant behavior can start at any age and it is learned. I know this because I have studied it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Kids are going to do what they see or from their experience. I do not want to alarm you but this is one sign of sexual abuse children. I might be wrong (I hope and I pray) but you have to deal with this issue as soon as possible. Talk to him what is appropriate touching. If he is scared to talk to you about this subject involved a professional (a doctor) and find out who has been alone with him in the past (sorry to say that but sexual abuser are sometime family).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Children at the age of 5 aren't thinking 'sexual' when they kiss, but I would wonder why he's pulling pants down and wanting to touch bellies. I would not only talk to him, but to give your mind some ease take him to his pediatrician to be checked out and also to gain a medical professionals advice since they do deal with all kinds of situations that could cause such behavior and could give you some advice. Children do all kinds of weird things so it could be very harmless and him just trying out new sensations, and investigating whatever peeks his curiosity; regardless it's always nice to be safe than sorry by checking with his pediatrician.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 2:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2010