AT WHAT AGE DO YOU ENROLL YOUR TODDLER INTO PRESCHOOL ?

MINE IS 2 1/2 AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO BEGIN- ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT- THANKS IN ADVANCE.

SANDYCAT

Asked by SANDYCAT at 9:21 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It really depends on when you want to enroll them. Some parents enroll at 2, some at 3, some at 4, and some don't send their child to preschool. It really depends on your preferences. If you do want to enroll soon, then I suggest looking now. Most preschools have a wait list. Start by talking to other parents about what preschools in your area are good. Call them and set up an appointment to take a tour. Compare the preschools and see which one might be best for your child. If necessary, get on a waiting list for the preschool that you want. If there is not a waiting list then discuss with the director about a possible start date. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. Good Luck!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• My 3 1/2yo is in preschool but only because she wanted to go. It's just twice a week for 2 hours each day at our park. I wasn't going to send her until this fall when she was 4 1/2 but she begged to go (she has 3 older siblings that are in school).
    My oldest went to preschool after she turned 4 (same school).
    My middle daughter went for 1/2 a year after she turned 5 (through the same program but at a different park).
    My son never went to preschool. He's in 2nd grade now and doing just fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I enrolled Amanda this past September and she was 10 days shy of her 3rd birthday. She probably would've been ready at 2 1/2 but that was March of last year so I didn't see much point in putting her into school when there wasn't much of the year left. She is doing great with school. She goes twice a week for 2 1/2 hours. Next year, since I will be student teaching, she will be going 5 days - 2 full days and 3 half days. I think she's gonna do just fine. Are you gonna enroll Ray?
    mla578

Answer by mla578 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I started my kids in preschool 2 mornings/week when they were 2 and they loved it. I enjoyed the break where I could do shopping or some heavy cleaning and then have the afternoons "free" to be with them and they liked being with friends and making crafts, reading books, coloring, etc.

Answer by missanc at 7:20 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I started my girls at the same time in a nursery school/preschool, when my oldest was a little over 2 and my little one was 13 months. It's not a daycare -- there's a program and curriculum, etc. They both love it. It's 2 days a week from 9 to 2:30. Some moms pick them up before the "nap" time (1pm).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 9:52 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My son started aMDO (moms day out) at a local church 2 days a week 9-2 when he was 3yrs.
    then a 5 half days a week at a local pre school when he was 4
    then he was completely prepared for the routine and structure of kindergarten by 5
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• My daughter started this year (2009) at the age of 3. I wanted her in a preschool setting and not a day care. So around here preschool starts at 3 when they are potty trained. I would ask around in your area as to what is recommended.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 5:16 PM on Jan. 14, 2010