How many ounces of milk should my 16-month-old son be drinking?

I forgot to ask the doctor today. Last month at his 15-month appointment the nurse said 32 ounces a day. We were doing that as my son was only 20.3 lbs. He's gained a little over a pound in a month so now I would think 32 ounces is way too much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd's doc said as long as she's getting 2-3 sippy cups a day of milk then she's fine..i was concerned about her not getting enough calcium..but as long as your lo is getting 2-3 sippy cups full i would think he's fine..
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 9:35 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Our nutrionist said no more than 24 oz a day at that age. You need to increase calories in regular foods.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:48 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• He doesn't really NEED the milk. He should be eating a diet of calcium rich healthy foods rather than drinking his calories. I personally wouldn't go more than 24 ozs of milk per day. I have a child that would drink milk all day if I let him. I won't let him have his milk until he's eaten an acceptable amount of solid food first, otherwise he will fill up on milk and not be interested in real food.
    Anonymous

• Move him towards water and off milk.

Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn't digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies.  Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:39 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• 32 oz is way too much cow's milk. I think the current recommendation is 16-20 starting at 12 months of age. That's just two 8-10 oz glasses a day.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:07 AM on Jan. 14, 2010