Do you think she knows they killed her kittens?

My friend found a stray cat and brought her home. She got her fixed even though she was pregnant.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Pets

• No, I truly doubt it. I would have done the same thing as long as the cat was not ready to pop.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:11 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Ahh what kind of vet would do that??? That can't be good for her. I don't think animals realize that stuff till they actually HAVE the offspring but who knows.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:32 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Many vets do it. Most will not do it if the animal is far along though. There are so many animals out there in shelters looking for homes and many more suffering on the streets. If people took responsibility of their animals and had them spayed or neutered people would not be having to take in the strays( the one that are abandoned when they become pregnant) and have them fixed themselves. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Allergic2Stupid, there are a lot of vets who will spay a cat if she is not too far into the pregnancy. Its to prevent anymore unwanted kittens in shelters. It sounds terrible, but it isn't anymore terrible then the thousands of cats that are waiting for homes in shelters or outside being hit by cars, trapped and killed or left to die by heartless owners.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 9:59 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• When mommy cats have their kittens and the babies are given to new owners, mommy cats tends to be relieved. They rebound very quickly. Chances are your friends stray cat doesn't notice a thing. And Kudos to her for taking the kitty off the streets and giving her a home, and getting her fixed! :)
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Cats and dogs do not "fall in love". They mate because of hormonal impulses. They also do not invest as much emotion into the raising of their young, who typically leave the mother once they are weaned. I think mother animals do know and grieve for babies that have been born and taken away too soon or died, but not the unborn--I don't think they know in the same sense that we humans know when we are expecting a baby.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:46 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I don't think that animals have an awareness of pregnancy the way humans do. They are hormonally driven to mate, and hormonally driven to care for the young until they wean. Without the hormonal burst right before labour and during birth, I honestly doubt the cat knows the difference.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:15 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• I doubt that she knows. They aren't like a person that loses a baby. If she even knew that she was going to have kittens is doubtful. Even though it's sad that those kittens won't be born, in the long run, it's best for them all anyways. At least this way, they won't die alone in a shelter somewhere. That would be worse.
    Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• it depends.... some cats have a strong maternal instinct and others do not. but she'll be ok i think.... it was probably early
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Yes i think she does know, depending how far along she was... i can't believe someone would actually take a stray and let them do that...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2010