Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What can I do to adopt my 2 sisters?

My mom is a drug addict, and my mom's current husband(The father to my youngest sister) is as well. My mom is also dealing drugs, and I have proof of all of this. I currently am living out of state, but will be returning soon. Once I get on my feet, I want to adopt them and take care of them. One is 15 and the other will be 8 when I get there(I am 21 by the way) I have no kids as of yet, but my sisters are basically homeless at the moment and I want to keep them out of Foster Care. What can I do to adopt them?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Adoption

Answers (14)
  • One, they will have to go to child protective services... There is no way around this, but there is a good chance you could become their kinship foster parent until it is either deemed that the parents are not going to recover and gain custody back or until the parents relinquish their parental rights. You will need to have job stability of at least 6 months, as well as a home study, background check and foster care classes as well before they will allow you to become a foster parent. OCCASIONALLY, and I do mean that, they let the children be moved into the prospective foster parents home before the classes are completed but this is a very rare thing. Keep in mind that they will either go to a shelter when they are taken away from the parents, and they might not go to the same place. This can be very traumatizing. They will stay there until the courts allow you to become their foster parent. You can only adopt them until their

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • parents either relinquish custody or their parental rights are terminated.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:08 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • Sorry, scratch the until****... I meant to say after =(. Oops.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • I would think you can go and fight for some sort of custody. If grandparents and other family can do it before CPS gets their nose in it, I am sure a sibling can. I have never heard of standing back and allowing CPS to fuck up their lives first.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

  • Don't wait and let them suffer. Get on the phone tomorrow and get into foster care classes and report your "parents." CPS will place them with you if you can qualify and they will let you speed through the process so that the girls don't have to be in a strangers home. Or...what about asking your parents to voluntarily let the girls live with you? Is there any chance of that happening?

    Answer by hollyanne31 at 12:38 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • You need to call CPS if they are in danger. Talk to someone there. They may be able to place them with someone until you move there... assuming they consider you fit to have them (have a roof over the head, income, ...)
    If you can get their parents (both biological) to consent you can try to adopt them. It is a "fun" process and you'd most likely have to get a lawyer and do a home study and the whole nine yards. If you went this route, you need to get serious proof of their drug habits.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • They don't have to go into CPS. My cousin turned over guardianship/custody to her mother when she went into the army.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • I would think you might be able to get guardianship faster than the adoption process. My aunt was my legal guardian from 8-14...but my father conceeded that...I'm not sure how it would work if the agreement wasn't mutual.

    Answer by metalhealthmama at 11:23 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • (cont) we were supposed to have a home study (accoding to the paperwork), but I sent in the adoption request paperwork along with the physicals and they gave us a docket date pretty fast.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

  • sorry wrong adoption post

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:34 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN