Poo problems: maybe tmi

My almost 3 yr old son has been using the potty for a few weeks now (pee and poo) and has been doing great. I've never pressured him, I let him lead. He was constipated for a few days so when he poo'd, it hurt. Now, he doesn't want to poo anymore. He'll hold it in for days, which makes everything worse. He won't poo in the potty or in a diaper. I gave him a laxative a few days ago and he finally went in his sleep. I know he's not constipated, that he's holding it in cuz there will be a little poo on his booty and he'll tell me he doesn't want to poo. What do I do to help him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:37 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would talk to his doc. to keep him from getting constipated increase his water, let him run around with a cup while he's playing, and increase fiber
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• This happened with my oldest. Holding it in will lead to him becoming constipated, which can lead to a distended bowel and then can lead to urinary problems. This is what happened with my daughter. Our doctor had us start giving our daughter miralax everyday. About 1/2 tbls. in some juice. We've been doing this for about 6 months now. Keeps the stool soft and makes it easier for them to poo. We're planning on trying to take my daughter off of it probably within the next month.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 11:33 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• And just as gypsymama said: increase water intake and increase fiber. Kids only need about 10 grams of fiber a day. Don't give too much fiber because that can cause problems too. Dairy products can cause constipation. Make sure he only gets his necessary amount of dairy products. I sometimes put a little benefiber in the food while I'm cooking. Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
    onthegoturbo

Answer by onthegoturbo at 11:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• I would try to control this through diet. Make sure that he drinks lots of water. Cut way back on, or eliminate, meat, dairy, bananas, simple grains, processed and refined sugars.

Fill the family's diet with fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes. Send me a message offlist if you need further suggestions or information

Answer by rkoloms at 8:28 AM on Jan. 14, 2010