What can I do to adopt my 2 sisters?

My mom is a drug addict, and my mom's current husband(The father to my youngest sister) is as well. My mom is also dealing drugs, and I have proof of all of this. I currently am living out of state, but will be returning soon. Once I get on my feet, I want to adopt them and take care of them. One is 15 and the other will be 8 when I get there(I am 21 by the way) I have no kids as of yet, but my sisters are basically homeless at the moment and I want to keep them out of Foster Care. What can I do to adopt them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• Call a lawyer, either in your area or your sister's. Every state has different laws. They will answer legal questions over the phone for free. Besides that, if you know this is going on, I'd probably get ahold of authorities, if you are the next of kin, they'd probably come stay with you anyway. Good luck!
    kicknscreamn222

Answer by kicknscreamn222 at 10:26 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• You shouldn't have to adopt them. Just get custody of them.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:01 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• Yeah you could be awarded custody.. they're old enough to know who they want to live with.. when you get home call the cops, get them arrested, and take it from there
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:18 AM on Jan. 14, 2010

• Call DHS or CPS or whatever it's called in your state and get those girls out of there. Then you can file for temporary custody for the girls, and it will eventually lead to a court date and you might be able to win full custody of the girls. I would make the call first, and possibly go talk to a lawyer, usually consultations are free, and see what you can do legally to make a better home for your sisters.
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 9:11 AM on Jan. 14, 2010