clonidine?

Anyone's ped ever prescribed clonidine for their child for sleep? Good or bad experiences?
And PLEASE no bashing and lecturing about not medicating kids, I want personal experinces.
THANKS

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 9:45 PM on Jan. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It helped my son for awhile, but then it stopped. It is a med that you will have to wean your child off of tho. It is a med for high blood pressure so if you stop taking it all at once, his BP could shut up. Once that stopped working we went to melatonin from the natural food store and that too worked for awhile then stopped. The only that has helped my son the most in sleep and appetite was a short acting med. The extended release is what was keeping him up. Now he does sleep better than what he did without any meds to help but it still takes awhile for him to fall asleep.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• melatonin isn't cutting it = which is why they are going to this - I am so sleep deprived I can't function
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:53 PM on Jan. 13, 2010

• We just started this med with our son this past Friday. It seems to be working partially for him b/c we've noticed that it helps him to fall asleep sooner, but unfortunately he's still waking up at least twice a night. At our appt. the neurologist told me that we would know for sure within a week if it was going to work at this dose & if it didn't, she would double the dose for another week to see if that was enough. If the double dose wasn't enough, then we have the choice to either change to a new med or add something to the Clonidine. We chose the Clonidine to start with b/c it can also reduce tics, has mild mood stabilizing effects & can reduce hyperactivity, which are all things our son would benefit from, so we're really, really hoping this med will work well for him in the long run. We tried all the natural stuff, too, and none of it worked for us, either.
    Anonymous

• well my brother is on it bc of the ADHD meds he is on. IT makes him sleep, but during the day he is also zonked out. They have lowered the dosage and that didnt help.. Try going to see a chiropractor or my some mg-zyme they have it n a powder or tablet..
    deverrick

Answer by deverrick at 5:31 PM on Jan. 14, 2010